Law Conversion Course Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Cool Dude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Once you have completed your degree i heard you can do a coversion course into LAW ?
Can someone tell me more about it please ?
Have you got ant HTML links i can read ?
Vin
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by The Cool Dude)
Once you have completed your degree i heard you can do a coversion course into LAW ?
Can someone tell me more about it please ?
Have you got ant HTML links i can read ?
Yes, you can. It's a one year law course called the CPE (Common Professional Examination). It's for university graduates with a first degree in any other course other than law.

You can find more information about CPE here:
http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk/cpe.html
The Cool Dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vin)
Yes, you can. It's a one year law course called the CPE (Common Professional Examination). It's for university graduates with a first degree in any other course other than law.

You can find more information about CPE here:
http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk/cpe.html
You need a 1:1 to do the course ?
Wat if u get a 2:1 or a 2:2 ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by The Cool Dude)
You need a 1:1 to do the course ?
Wat if u get a 2:1 or a 2:2 ?
You can have a 2:1 or 2:2, but if your looking for training contracts and the like you'll need a minimum of 2:1
The Cool Dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unregistered)
You can have a 2:1 or 2:2, but if your looking for training contracts and the like you'll need a minimum of 2:1
How long is the conversion course?

Once u done the conversion course wat next?

Do you have to do anything else or do u become a lawyer ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
It's around one year long, after that you'll have to decide what youw ant to be a solicitor or a barrister, If youw ant to be a Barrister you'll have to take the BVC and for solicitor a LPC. And then you'll have to find yourself some training contracts/pupilage
The Cool Dude
Rep:
?
It's around one year long, after that you'll have to decide what youw ant to be a solicitor or a barrister, If youw ant to be a Barrister you'll have to take the BVC and for solicitor a LPC. And then you'll have to find yourself some training contracts/pupilage
How long is the BVC?
How long is the LPC ?
How long is the training contract ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Both the BVC and LPC are an extra one year.

Training contracts from solicitor firms are usually two years in length
The Cool Dude
Rep:
?
Both the BVC and LPC are an extra one year.

Training contracts from solicitor firms are usually two years in length
I suppose you get paid for a training contract ??
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Yep, depending on where the training contract is i.e London, Manchester salary is around £25K.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
To help you out go here http://www.lawcareers.net
The Cool Dude
Rep:
?
To help you out go here http://www.lawcareers.net
Thanx alot m8
Much appreciated.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know about any two year Law Conversion courses? I'm talking about the degree type. Bristol for example offers a two year Legal Studies MA and at oxford+cam you can take their three year BA in two years (if you already have one degree)

any help would be amazing!!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone know about any two year Law Conversion courses? I'm talking about the degree type. Bristol for example offers a two year Legal Studies MA and at oxford+cam you can take their three year BA in two years (if you already have one degree)

any help would be amazing!!
Prospects has loads of information about all sorts of post grad courses.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Where do you do the course?
Rachelhooley
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
What universities or colleges do these law conversion courses and approximatly how much do they cost, is it the same as tuition fees uusually are?
tommypip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
loads of institutions do conversion courses. The college of law has branches throughout the country from Guildford to York. www.lawcabs.ac.uk has a list of them or alternitavely your university or college should have a list in their careers library. Tuition fees are not the same as a degree because of the more one on one nature of the course and can be very expensive. To do a conversion at Guildford it is just under £6,000 for the CPE and nearly £8,000 for the LPC!! Hence why many people try to get training contracts with law firms as they normally pay this for you
FudgeMonkey
Report 15 years ago
Does any1 know if its better/more respected to do a law degree, or a degree of your choice plus a conversion course?
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
Does any1 know if its better/more respected to do a law degree, or a degree of your choice plus a conversion course?
its harder to do a law conversion course and that would be seen as better. But do a course you like, I wanted to do PPE as well as law, but i compromised with law and law and politics.
sorry i didn't really answer you question
tommypip
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's not better or worse to do another degree before doing law. In fact, some firms like non law graduates, because they bring skills that a law graduate may not have, for example a history graduate would have the skills to analyse sources critically, and for something like tax law, a maths graduate may have skills that a law graduate would not
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (555)
80.43%
Leave (135)
19.57%

Watched Threads