How does clearing work? Watch

SDZ
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I just wanted to know how clearing works. Do you simply get a number from ucas and phone unis or what?. Also do unis lower their entry requirements?.
milly.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes (as far as I can gather) and yes (in 99% of cases)
dadamafia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am on holiday so is that a huge disadvantage?
niina234
Report 11 years ago
im hoping that they lower them lol
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dadamafia)
I am on holiday so is that a huge disadvantage?
Doesn't make things easy, certainly.
dadamafia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I cant see why I cant ring up ucas and ask for my number and then start phoning unis, what more is there tbh?
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I cant see why I cant ring up ucas and ask for my number and then start phoning unis, what more is there tbh?
Depends where you are going to be, and whether you want to visit a uni before making up your mind. Hasty and ill-informed decisions/choices can increase your risk of dropping out. Also, you have to send your Clearing Passport in to the uni whose place you want to accept, and that will be sent by UCAS to your home address. Generally these things do have a fast turnaround. There won't be any point in ringing UCAS as they won't give you any more information than you will be able to get off Track and from your results papers (who is going to pick those up for you?). The listings of available places are online with UCAS from midnight on results day, or published in the Independent that morning.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
All vacancies are listed in the Independent and probably on the UCAS website and uni websites with the contact number you need to phone. There's usually a special Clearing hotline that deals with it. As far as I know, offers are usually made informally over the phone first and then made official when you send the uni your Clearing Passport, which UCAS will send you as soon as you become eligible. Unis generally do lower their requirements because they've been unable to fill their places with the original ones.
chester.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So, i already have an offer for another uni and if i ring them up and they release me on results day, can i just immediately start ringing other unis to see if they have places left (a lady from another uni told me to ring her on results day so she could see what she could do for me). As i went through Extra and got an offer, i seem to have been given a clearing number- it appears on my track screen, saying that im in clearing...although i have an offer! But anyway- as soon as they say they'll release me, is it ok if just phone up the new uni straight away and sort something out! If they give me an offer informally, i just send off my clearing passport as soon as i get it from ucas? Do i understand it or am i completely wrong.... thanks!
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by chester_2005)
So, i already have an offer for another uni and if i ring them up and they release me on results day, can i just immediately start ringing other unis to see if they have places left (a lady from another uni told me to ring her on results day so she could see what she could do for me). As i went through Extra and got an offer, i seem to have been given a clearing number- it appears on my track screen, saying that im in clearing...although i have an offer! But anyway- as soon as they say they'll release me, is it ok if just phone up the new uni straight away and sort something out! If they give me an offer informally, i just send off my clearing passport as soon as i get it from ucas? Do i understand it or am i completely wrong.... thanks!
That sounds OK to me, but if you don't want to go to the uni you currently have an offer from and you'd rather apply elsewhere through Clearing, phone the uni and ask to be released now. They'll probably do it, but it won't be a priority and unis will be so busy on results day that it could end up taking ages. Since you can't be officially accepted by any uni through Clearing while you're still holding an offer, you might miss out on the place you want.
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SDZ)
I just wanted to know how clearing works. Do you simply get a number from ucas and phone unis or what?. Also do unis lower their entry requirements?.
Take a look at this website: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/clearing/clearing_explained.html.
dadamafia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so I need someone to send the uni my clearing passport then?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so I need someone to send the uni my clearing passport then?
Looks like it. You really need someone you can trust who's not going on holiday with you to collect your results, unless you get them emailed or phoned through by your school, open your post and contact you if there's anything you need to do. Although if you get into your firm/insurance, all this will be irrelevant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?