What to do about "bad teachers" - and praising good ones Watch

Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
When I was in year 10 (way back in 1995) the chief inspector of schools wrote in his annual report that there were 15,000 bad teachers who needed to be removed (see para 14 in http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/60221-23.htm)

For those of you who have the misfortune to be taught by poor teachers, please don't just sit back and take it. These are your futures that are at risk. It would be great if you all engaged in the political system to put pressure on those who are in control of your schools to get them to deal with the problems.

Have a look at this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=427379 for who to contact.

Apart from your MP, for those of you who live in "2-tier areas" - that is with a borough/district council and a county council, you will need to email your county council. For those in unitary/metropolitan areas, you'll only have one council to contact.

Basically it doesn't look good for a council or a school if their pupils are complaining about poor standards of teaching and thus complaints are more likely to be taken seriously.

Given the changes that are taking place within local government due to a bill currently going through Parliament ("Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Bill") local councils are going to be much more interested in what happens within schools.

If you don't complain to those who run your school, they'll assume there's no problem.

On the flip side of the coin, if you have a really good teacher, although there is the risk of "teacher's pet" accusations, it really does make a huge difference to teachers if you let them know if they are doing a good job and/or if you are enjoying the subject area that they are teaching. It makes things so much easier and more enjoyable for them if they have a class full of motivated people who have a desire to learn. If teachers know that they are going to go into a class and have fun teaching, it makes your lives much more fun learning and then exams feel much more easier come the summer because you've had fun learning.

(Please feel free to moan at me if what I've written sounds far too idealistic!)
Contrived
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to give my teacher an apple.
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
(Please feel free to moan at me if what I've written sounds far too idealistic!)
Not idealistic, it's about time that people should take action instead of just moaning about it
The Bone Lady
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Tis semi idealistic in that making a complaint about poor teaching is all well and good if those that you have to make a complaint to actually care which is in itself rare. I have felt the need to complain about numerous teachers at my school and those with the power to do something about it seem to just say yea ok and then sit back and do nothing. This has meant that me and my friends have taken to teaching ourselves the subjects that we have poor teachers for.

However due to the severe lack of really good teachers who actually care about their students and really put the work in I am a firm believer in letting them know that they ARE appreciated. If such teachers are not given some recognition then it may just leave them wondering why they bother and mean that we lose the few really good teachers that have not already become disillusioned with the teaching profession.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%