Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a stupid thread but I’m just looking for some advice, any advice. I’d like to think I was a confident person in general but I have absolutely no confidence when it comes to my academic abilities. This has always been a problem but it hasn’t really effected my exams till this year. I’m in year 12 and do further maths so sat the full maths alevel this year, and even though I was well prepared I went in incredibly shaky and panicked my way through most of the exam. I seem to forget all the basic things as soon as I open the paper. I wasted half an hour during C3 panicking because I felt too stupid to answer the questions and C4 was a complete mess. Even during C2 I kept second guessing myself. I ended up crying after every exam. I went into every exam feeling crap about myself and it showed in my performance.

I know everyone gets nervous before exams but this isn’t just nerves. I always feel like the most stupid person in the room and I have no idea on how to improve this. I’m really worried what happened this year will happen again next year during exams.

I’m sorry that way kinda long but I’d really appreciate any advice on how to improve self confidence or how you dealt with it. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Try to understand exams and their place in the whole "learning journey". They're not there to trick you or catch you out. They're there to check your understanding of what you've already covered under controlled conditions (often this means without chatting to your friends or looking at books).

If your teachers are halfway competent there is nothing in an exam that you won't have covered in class.

I'm more than happy to spend time talking to you if you're still worried, I've tutored/mentored people who get exam anxiety with good results. Part of the secret is having something else to focus your mind on.

ReputationRep:
    Watch like an hour of ted talk videos. Some of those speakers I swear are so good they make you feel like you can do and be anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polysci)
    Try to understand exams and their place in the whole "learning journey". They're not there to trick you or catch you out. They're there to check your understanding of what you've already covered under controlled conditions (often this means without chatting to your friends or looking at books).

If your teachers are halfway competent there is nothing in an exam that you won't have covered in class.

I'm more than happy to spend time talking to you if you're still worried, I've tutored/mentored people who get exam anxiety with good results. Part of the secret is having something else to focus your mind on.
    I get what you're saying but I go in really prepared and have plenty of practice doing papers under exam conditions but I still don't have the confidence to do the exam.

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Watch like an hour of ted talk videos. Some of those speakers I swear are so good they make you feel like you can do and be anything
    Do you have any suggestions on which ones?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.