Edexcel Economics A Official Thread 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so for most of us college has started again and those reading this will probably be studying A2 Economics or some may just be starting their two year course. The 2016 thread was made pretty late this year, so i thought I'd make it much sooner .

As a little introduction to those who will be posting on the thread,

How do did you do in AS Economics?
    How are you finding Economics so far?
    Have you got any questions and do you need any help?

Also if you have any exam material or sample essays, just like i saw on last years i intend to make a database with all the model answers over the next few weeks, so just pm me or post on this thread.

Good luck with A Level economics guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi if anyone got an active learn login or book code that they'd be willing to let me use please Dm because my school hasn't ordered books yet and i've just wasted £30 on one from the old spec Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I’m starting sixth form this year studying Economics (woo!) this summer I got 10A*s at GCSE.
    I’m also working at an exciting start-up that aims to revolutionise learning. We’re using educational neuroscience, thousands of hours of tutoring experience and AI technology, and we hope to improve learning efficiency by creating a system that guarantees students A* grades.
    I’ve handled a variety of jobs at the start-up, such as creating high quality economics content, processing and curating content, as well as carrying out tonnes of interesting research into past paper questions and current affairs.
    We are only a small team but we are looking to expand further to help us deliver the best possible product we can. An exciting opportunity where you can experience working in a real technology based start-up and have unlimited access to top class tutors from Oxford, LSE and Imperial.

So, if you are interested in working with me and the team behind this product, DM me and let me know pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)
    Hi guys, so for most of us college has started again and those reading this will probably be studying A2 Economics or some may just be starting their two year course. The 2016 thread was made pretty late this year, so i thought I'd make it much sooner .

Also if you have any exam material or sample essays, just like i saw on last years i intend to make a database with all the model answers over the next few weeks, so just pm me or post on this thread.

Hey!

I've just started Economics in the last couple of weeks alongside Business Studies (both of which I'm studying fast-track).

So far the course is good it seems pretty easy compared to the A-Levels I was taking last year (Maths, Bio & Chem).

Just a couple of questions, did you use any of the previous specification's past papers to help you revise? If so, were they similar to the new AS exams this year if you took them? I know it's gone linear, but some schools make you take them so that they know what grades to predict you :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    Hey!

I've just started Economics in the last couple of weeks alongside Business Studies (both of which I'm studying fast-track).

So far the course is good it seems pretty easy compared to the A-Levels I was taking last year (Maths, Bio & Chem).

Just a couple of questions, did you use any of the previous specification's past papers to help you revise? If so, were they similar to the new AS exams this year if you took them? I know it's gone linear, but some schools make you take them so that they know what grades to predict you :P
    Hey, I used section A from all past papers, they were helpful so were some of the IAL past papers for economics especially for unit 2 since the new paper had multiple choice unlike the old one. For section B I got my hand on some adjusted papers, that is past papers from the old spec updated with the new marking structure. It won't Make that much of a difference if you follow the old marking structure tho, if you PM your email I can get those papers across

ReputationRep:
    You will find past papers and some model answers on my website at: http://aleveleconomicssuccess.com/new-spec
    Hope you find them useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Hey, I used section A from all past papers, they were helpful so were some of the IAL past papers for economics especially for unit 2 since the new paper had multiple choice unlike the old one. For section B I got my hand on some adjusted papers, that is past papers from the old spec updated with the new marking structure. It won't Make that much of a difference if you follow the old marking structure tho, if you PM your email I can get those papers across
    Hey, thanks for the advice ^_^
    Yes please, that would be awesome! I'll pm you in a sec.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, any update on the model answers I'd find them very handy? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I decided to do A-level Economics in January but since I am doing it as a private candidate, I happen to not know what books to buy. I don't have a teacher to contact or anyone to ask regarding IAL Economics, so I hope everyone can drop in their opinions about what books I can refer to or buy.
    Edexcel's website provides some documents and I found one that had basic reading section and "unit books" were recommended. So I searched for these unit books and well there are multiple versions of them existing, such as the 2008, 2012, and the recent one being 2015. I read reviews (on Amazon) but they were regarding the 2008 version - in which they stated it was a very good book to use.
    Currently, I don't what to buy or where to begin. I want to do well in the exam and I want to make use of every second I have now, but not knowing what books to buy is troubling me very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiredhuman)
    Hi guys!
    I decided to do A-level Economics in January but since I am doing it as a private candidate, I happen to not know what books to buy. I don't have a teacher to contact or anyone to ask regarding IAL Economics, so I hope everyone can drop in their opinions about what books I can refer to or buy.
    Edexcel's website provides some documents and I found one that had basic reading section and "unit books" were recommended. So I searched for these unit books and well there are multiple versions of them existing, such as the 2008, 2012, and the recent one being 2015. I read reviews (on Amazon) but they were regarding the 2008 version - in which they stated it was a very good book to use.
    Currently, I don't what to buy or where to begin. I want to do well in the exam and I want to make use of every second I have now, but not knowing what books to buy is troubling me very much.
    it's simple, get the books ENDORSED by the exam board for the specification of the exam that you are sitting. simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SURH)
    it's simple, get the books ENDORSED by the exam board for the specification of the exam that you are sitting. simple.
    You're right actually! Thank you for your input!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Thank you so much I need these adjusted papers for edexcel - taking A2 in May 2017 . Any other relevant examples really appreciated .

ReputationRep:
    I've already confirmed but it's [personal info removed]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)

Hi guys, as wondering if you could help. How do you assess whether a firm is achieving allocative efficiency? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oclanc18)
    Hi guys, as wondering if you could help. How do you assess whether a firm is achieving allocative efficiency? Thanks
    A firm is achieving allocative efficiency when marginal cost (which is effectively the same as the supply curve) = average revenue (which is effectively the same as the demand curve). The diagram below shows it in the case of a monopoly (with the Pso price and Qso quantity):
    http://images.slideplayer.com/14/445...s/slide_52.jpg
    if you need anymore help (or maybe a bit more of an explanation), feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    It is based of a source on johns lewis but there is no graph or anything mentioned in the source so I'm not sure what else to talk about. It also asks about the effect that of spending money on modernising department stores would have on average costs in short- run and long-run?

ReputationRep:
    It is based of a source on johns lewis but there is no graph or anything mentioned in the source so I'm not sure what else to talk about. It also asks about the effect that of spending money on modernising department stores would have on average costs in short- run and long-run?
    Hola there, so im assuming this question has something to do with perhaps some business objectives that could be related to this perhaps? Maybe considering the short run objectives that firms may want to employ through larger investments in modernising department stores could lead to certain economies of scale in the long run if the action of actually modernising these stores lead to higher footfall of customers into their stores which would just increase levels of sales and maybe even help to decrease costs which may in fact lead to a lower average cost and in which could end up boosting either revenues or profits even.

In the short run, however, higher investments due to differing business objectives (rev or growth objectives) may lead to higher levels of average costs which may end up in the business making a loss in the short run but again will depend on how strong the business has been in the market which its operating in.

I'd just draw and make up graphs really, of both short and long run "monopolistical graphical types" and explain from there, both short and long run.

I'm not entirely sure if that was what you were kind of looking for.
    Hope I helped out a bit tho. lol

ReputationRep:
    Remember that AC is = TC / Q. Now, modernising their stores will mean that there will be a relatively high initial cost, and they will not be immediately able to increase their 'quantity' to cover this increased total cost, therefore in the short run there will be a rise in the AC, you might want to show this in an AC, showing a movement along the curve. So anyways, an increase in initial cost may hint that the firm is investing in the short term, and trading off short term profits for long term increase in profits, so they are hoping that in the future, their investments now will mean that they are able to profit maximise later. To John Lewis, investing currently to increase their share or develop customer loyalty may be more important than trying to increase their profits which may not be easily possible without this kind of investment, there is also intense competition within this market meaning this investment may be needed to consolidate their market position or defend it against new entrants.

Mainly this question is about the business objectives and how & why they may change.

Hope this helps.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.