The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics A Official Thread 2017

Scroll to see replies

'exams aren't a competition'

Lolololol

How do you think grade boundaries are calculated?? They're made by comparing students grades.

Only X% of candidates can get an A so we must compete against each other in order to get into the top X% percentile of marks needed for the A

It wouldn't be a competition if there were set grade boundaries, which there are not, so thinking it's not a competition must put you on some sort of spectrum
As far as I can understand, the best outcome for everyone in this situation is for the cheaters to be disqualified. No changes to grade boundaries as it will just cause a whole mess. I also understand how it can be hard to track every single person who cheated but by just using simple investigative techniques with the right information (that TSR, and exam centers can provide) they will find quite a few people. There is no other practical solution that would be fair for everyone.
Lowering grade boundaries? The cheaters benefit even more
Raising grade boundaries? Need I say anything?
Cancelling and re-sitting? Huge problems of rescheduling, and for some people that was their best exam..
Original post by Movementmoments
'exams aren't a competition'

Lolololol

How do you think grade boundaries are calculated?? They're made by comparing students grades.

Only X% of candidates can get an A so we must compete against each other in order to get into the top X% percentile of marks needed for the A

It wouldn't be a competition if there were set grade boundaries, which there are not, so thinking it's not a competition must put you on some sort of spectrum

The grade boundaries use student grades to determine the difficulty of the exam. Grade boundaries are just statistically adjusted due to perceived difficulty by students.

If people found the 25 marker hard for instance and dropped 10 marks, grade boundaries dont fall by such a magnitude.

There's no set percentage of students that get an A, A* so on, it varies year by year. It's not an actuary exam or something.
Original post by Popsiclez
You've become a celebrity lmao

I know right 😂
Original post by Abdul0598
I know right 😂

what is actually going on with Edexcel c4/3 leaked too.....
R.I.P Thread. It has been a pleasure..
Original post by Diastal

the legacy never dies
Original post by Diastal

No come on lets revive it!

after we finish our other exams

Why? Econ is done and dusted.
Original post by Diastal
Why? Econ is done and dusted.

I just get emotional seeing threads die 😢
I just get emotional seeing threads die 😢

same lool. im attached easily
Hello,
Could you please help me to understand and explain what exactly perfect competition ad monopsony, contestable markets mean?

tks
Hello
could you explain me what exactly is monopsony, contestability and perfect competition is?

Original post by BR1999
Hi guys, so for most of us college has started again and those reading this will probably be studying A2 Economics or some may just be starting their two year course. The 2016 thread was made pretty late this year, so i thought I'd make it much sooner .

As a little introduction to those who will be posting on the thread,

How do did you do in AS Economics?
How are you finding Economics so far?
Have you got any questions and do you need any help?

Also if you have any exam material or sample essays, just like i saw on last years i intend to make a database with all the model answers over the next few weeks, so just pm me or post on this thread.

1) Edexcel detailed syllabus (page 20 on): https://qualifications.pearson.com/c..._Guide_new.pdf

2) All Edexcel past papers (up to 2015): https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/f...0hHLU1QdW9saW8

3) How to adapt Old Spec papers to New Spec:

* Old spec > New spec
4 > 5 marker *
9 > 10 marker *
14 > 15 marker *
16 > 15 marker *
30 > 20 marker *

4) Complete list of definitions for Theme 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4U...ew?usp=sharing

5) Evaluations: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4U...ew?usp=sharing

Lets smash this exam!
Good luck with A Level economics guys :tongue:
So what is most likely going to happen now due to the paper being leaked?
For those who are still bothered about the Economics 'leak':

I believe this is Edexcel's final statement on this.
http://schoolsweek.co.uk/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-edexcel-a-level-exam-leaks/?hootPostID=56fcb277e21ac05a24cb28285be55bbd

"In the case of last week’s economics A-level, we were alerted to the fact that there had been a possible breach of content in one school, resulting in some high-level content being posted on social media 20 minutes before the commencement of the exam. This contained no precise details about specific questions and we do not believe any student has been advantaged, although we will monitor trends very closely. We have moved quickly to identify the individuals concerned and worked with their school to identify what had happened. We quickly concluded our investigation, and we will be following established disciplinary procedures against those individuals."
"It is regrettable that a tiny number of people have added to the stress of this year’s exams for a much larger number of students, their parents and teachers. We’ve acted swiftly, in conjunction with the police, and will ensure that there are consequences if any individuals attempted to undermine the examination system. But most importantly, we’ve taken the right steps to ensure the fairness of the examinations.
Exams are an integral part of our education system, and a professional and fair exam system is underpinned by a strong partnership between exam boards and the schools and teachers we work with every day. We are very grateful to all teachers and students for their understanding, and for working with us over the exam season."

I think this is a fair outcome, although possibly a disappointing outcome when compared to the efforts that were made to improve fairness of the Maths papers.

I consider this to be resolved now. Good luck to everyone on results day!
For them to say that students had no advantage is a bit of a joke. If knowing the questions and their respictive mark allocation is not advantageous, I don't know what is.I have no doubt only a small number of people actually saw it, but that's the entire point.
can anyone predict the grade boundaries for A and B for paper 1 2 3 ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending