Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So now everyone is offended?? Watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37260217

Before it was "freedom of speech" and now everyone is offended?

ReputationRep:
    People only get angry at satire that makes fun of them, I like to call it the 'South Park' effect.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if someone mocked a death in your family or something personal that happened in your country you'd be offended too...

(Original post by yungaheartz)
    I'm sure if someone mocked a death in your family or something personal that happened in your country you'd be offended too...
    You didn't understand my point. When they mocked dying refugees it was called "freedom of speech" and now these people are getting offended too. Do you see my point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    You didn't understand my point. When they mocked dying refugees it was called "freedom of speech" and now these people are getting offended too. Do you see my point?
    ohhh ok yeah i see what you mean

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you OP. Its free speech for right wing nut jobs when Charlie Hebdo jokes about dying refugees or makes fun of Muslims but when it does the same treatment for other incidents which does not involve these people they will get upset. These people haven't even researched about Charlie Hebdo to see what it has published in the past as well, they won't be too pleased. It's just typical right wing mentality, nothing new.

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when we breed a generation with the 'it's not winning that counts, it's the taking part' mentality

ReputationRep:

(Original post by JourneyToSuccess)
    ??
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Name:  image.png
Views: 128
Size:  474.3 KB

(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Name:  image.png
Views: 128
Size:  474.3 KB
    ??
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    ??
    Lol, what don't you get about that?

Lol, what don't you get about that?
    What does it mean? Please explain it
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    What does it mean? Please explain it
    You asked 'Why is everyone so offended?'. I posted a meme to joke about this; the meme insinuates that making a joke is like being in a room full of security lasers, and you have to be careful not to touch one, or, in this case, offend someone...oh lord, you were joking weren't you.

You asked 'Why is everyone so offended?'. I posted a meme to joke about this; the meme insinuates that making a joke is like being a room full or security lasers, and you have to be careful not to touch one, or, in this case, offend someone...oh lord, you were joking weren't you.
    Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. No I wasn't joking.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. No I wasn't joking. I got 3 GCSEs by the way.
    It's okay.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with saying this joke is not funny and in bad taste?*

As I recall, that's what many people said about Hebdo's Muslim cartoon(s), but also defended their right to say it, especially in the face of violence.

As long as you're not calling it to be censored, or being violent against them, you're just exercising your own free speech to say this cartoon sucks.

It's hardly the first "offensive" cartoon they've published! That's their modus operandi.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're idiots. Wait til they do a 'satire' about an attack in France and see how much Charlies there are then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.