The Student Room Group

Do I have to give notice with a non-contracted job?

I have been working in my local pub for the past year, however in the past two months they have changed managements. Everything was okay to begin with as the barman who had been working there for years who everyone got on with was doing the rotas, setting the shifts equally and making sure people weren't put on to work days they couldn't do, and were given 3/4 shifts a week. Then, the new owner started doing the rotas and started cancelling my shifts last minute (7 minutes before my shift was due to begin). Two of my shifts got cancelled in a row and then I receive a message in my work group chat notifying us of a change of rota, where my 4 shifts have been reduced down to only one. I ask why and I am told 'some people are able to work everyday rather than just the odd day', but I had requested no days off that week and had accepted the shifts on the original rota, and as it's a part time job surely I shouldn't be expected to work everyday? Then, I see that I'm being given no shifts last week, or this week despite being free both weeks, whereas other employees of the same age are getting 2/3/4 shifts a week, when the shifts are supposed to be evenly distributed. Furthermore, many of the staff have spoken about wanting to leave as they dislike the new management, and the boss made one of the employees cry. Once a fellow employee of mine resigned, she was not paid for the three shifts she did the previous week. I was offered a new job in a new cocktail bar/restaurant that pays a good £2/3 more an hour than my old job but seeing as I have been treated so badly in my current job with no explanation of why my shifts have been cut considering I cleared my week to work them and cancelling on me last minute, and as it's a non-contracted job with me having no interest getting a reference from them, is it necessary for me to have to hand in my notice considering how badly they have treated me and fellow employees? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
No, if there is no contract, you don't need to give notice. It's considered polite, but they way they have treated you, I don't think you need to worry on that score. If you have a new job lined up already then you won't need a reference from them either. Just make sure that you have been paid what you are owed before you quit. A phone call or email giving the reasons for you leaving should suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending