Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At higher I have achieved 8 A's and an A at advanced higher.

Out of the 8 A's at higher, 5 were A* achieving over 90% in 3.

English universities favour advanced highers over highers right? I am just wondering if I am qualified enough to apply to top universities like Cambridge and Oxford for law or is this a long shot? I realise people applying to these universities often have like 7 highers and 4 advanced but I just want to assess the possibility. Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AidanPrice)
    At higher I have achieved 8 A's and an A at advanced higher.

Out of the 8 A's at higher, 5 were A* achieving over 90% in 3.

English universities favour advanced highers over highers right? I am just wondering if I am qualified enough to apply to top universities like Cambridge and Oxford for law or is this a long shot? I realise people applying to these universities often have like 7 highers and 4 advanced but I just want to assess the possibility. Thank you!
    First of all, a massive well done on your grades.

In the case of Cambridge, I'm afraid that offers usually require AAA at Advanced Higher Grade.

This is what Oxford have to say:

We welcome the valuable skills developed by students studying within the Curriculum for Excellence and would usually expect AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. Conditional offers will usually be for AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6.

You may find it useful to have a look through the previous QnA threads done by Cambridge admissions tutors in recent years and months. Jneill maintains a list of previous threads here. It's worth keeping an eye on the forum and that thread as there may be another thread further into the cycle where you can pose your question.

Alternatively, feel free to send an email to admissions. Good luck. For the other top English unis, you'll want to have a look at their Entry Requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply that is very helpful!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by AidanPrice)
    Thank you for your reply that is very helpful!
    It's okay. Christ's admissions appear to still be answering people in their thread here. May be worth posing the question. Good luck .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.