Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm a prospective medical applicant and am feeling a bit lost as to where I should apply in order to maximise my chance of getting a treasured place at medical school. I am currently strongly considering Edinburgh and UCL, but have been struggling to figure out where to apply for the other two. I was thinking two BMAT and two UKCAT unis, but was unsure where to go from there as there is a large amount of choice. I am not sure either if Oxbridge is within my grasp and am apprehensive about putting more than two highly competitive medical schools on my UCAS form. My UKCAT is next Saturday, should I wait and see how that goes to see where to apply?

My academics are fairly decent:
    10A*s 1A at GCSE
    4As at AS (high UMS if that even matters anymore)
    3A*s predicted at A2

Any advice would be great as I am feeling a bit lost atm.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, your grades are brilliant! In regards to BMAT, UCL is defnitely an option and your grades and UMS if high seem good enough for Oxbridge if that's what you want to do. 2 BMAT Unis is what I'm doing so for that just look around and see what you like. For UKCAT unis until you've done the UKCAT you can have a rough idea but it depends on your result. If you get a high score for example, maximising your options would include places like Newcastle, Kings, Nottingham, Sheffield...
    With your GCSE's you're also in a good position for places at Cardiff, Birmingham, Nottingham etc...

I would suggest wait until you've done the UKCAT and explore your options. If you have a really high UKCAT, may only be worth applying to one BMAT uni and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is definitely an option for you, whichever you like the look of best. For the UKCAT unis, definitely wait until you have your score before deciding, but there aren't many options at the moment which would be a bad idea for you. You are allowed to consider where you would like to study as well!

ReputationRep:
    Just did my UKCAT today and got 740, so I'm pretty pleased. Any more advice now that I have a UKCAT score?

Atm I'm thinking Edinburgh, Cardiff, maybe St Andrews or KCL and UCL. Any thoughts?

Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMarles)
    Just did my UKCAT today and got 740, so I'm pretty pleased. Any more advice now that I have a UKCAT score?

Atm I'm thinking Edinburgh, Cardiff, maybe St Andrews or KCL and UCL. Any thoughts?

Thank youu!
    You can apply anywhere that does UKCAT, you will get an interview. do one or two BMATs choices at most, as you won't know your score in advance of applying

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.