The Student Room Group

Campus-based unis for Medicine?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any medical schools which are campus-based as opposed to city-based?

I think I prefer a campus-based uni but I'm struggling to find any information on unis websites which says whether they are campus/city.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1
*psst* Warwick :biggrin:
Leicester
Original post by TyeMc
*psst* Warwick :biggrin:

Is only for graduates.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Is only for graduates.

oh dear... didn't know that haha:colondollar:
Original post by Elishchambers
Hi,

Does anyone know of any medical schools which are campus-based as opposed to city-based?

I think I prefer a campus-based uni but I'm struggling to find any information on unis websites which says whether they are campus/city.

Thanks for the help!

BSMS might be, since it's a joint medical school between two unis.
Birmingham.
Nottingham.
Keele.
Reply 7
Nottingham is the first that springs to mind.

A lot of med schools are kindof campus kind of not .. like Bristol, it a little away from the city.. but still close... same with Leeds.
Original post by soLit

A lot of med schools are kindof campus kind of not .. like Bristol, it a little away from the city.. but still close... same with Leeds.

Yes I suppose you'd say Leeds was campus on this basis. Med school on the edge of the campus but max 15 mins walk from city centre.
Hi,

Thanks for the help!

Keele, Lancaster, Nottingham, St. andrews (first 3 years)... there is more but these are the 4 that spring to mind for me.
Reply 10
UEA, Birmingham, HYMS, Nottingham are a few campus based ones.

There are also some which seem to 'bridge the gap' between city and campus. Like Bristol (as mentioned before), and UCL where it is essentially a city based university, but the Medical School is located on the edge of their tight-knit 'Bloomsbury Campus'.

I thought I'd like a campus based university, but after seeing some city campuses, it changed my impression of what the term meant (previously thinking all city campuses were isolated buildings scattered across urban areas). Hence, I would highly recommend going in person to get a feel of each medical school, rather than rely on the things you read on the internet :smile:
Leicester is class, could look into Keele too.
Original post by soLit

Thank you!! I am definitely considering Nottingham!
Original post by Natalierm2707
Keele, Lancaster, Nottingham, St. andrews (first 3 years)... there is more but these are the 4 that spring to mind for me.

Thank you!! I'm considering both Lancaster and Nottingham!
Liverpool has a campus near the city centre but I'm not too sure how Medicine works there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amedic
UEA, Birmingham, HYMS, Nottingham are a few campus based ones.

There are also some which seem to 'bridge the gap' between city and campus. Like Bristol (as mentioned before), and UCL where it is essentially a city based university, but the Medical School is located on the edge of their tight-knit 'Bloomsbury Campus'.

I thought I'd like a campus based university, but after seeing some city campuses, it changed my impression of what the term meant (previously thinking all city campuses were isolated buildings scattered across urban areas). Hence, I would highly recommend going in person to get a feel of each medical school, rather than rely on the things you read on the internet :smile:

Thank you! And thank you for the advice! I am trying to get to see every medical school I apply for but it's difficult as some of the ope days have already been and then the next ones aren't until October when it's too late😭
Original post by Edminzodo
Liverpool has a campus near the city centre but I'm not too sure how Medicine works there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Thank you!! I'm considering both Lancaster and Nottingham!

For most medical schools teaching is done on one of the campuses, but due to placements you will be required to travel off campus into different areas to visit the hospitals and GP clinics for placement, keep that in mind.
Reply 18
Thank you! And thank you for the advice! I am trying to get to see every medical school I apply for but it's difficult as some of the ope days have already been and then the next ones aren't until October when it's too late😭

No worries at all :smile: yeah I had the same feeling about missing some open days, but sometimes visiting the campus yourself (not on open days) was enough to get a good idea of uni life there. Good luck with your choices next month :smile:

Quick Reply