I'm 17, can I go into a pub at night? Watch

Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bubblebee)
Don't try Weatherspoons or Lloyds bars, they kicked me out once because I didn't have ID... I was only trying to get some sunday dinner
Yeah they normally have strict rules that under 18s have to be out by about 8 ish. I don't know whether they actually go around checking IDs at that time, but I've seen signs saying that they all have to be out by 8.
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Went to a pub yest night b4 heading into town at around 8.45...and we got i.ded i was quite surprised about that. So you probz do have to be 18
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Yeah they normally have strict rules that under 18s have to be out by about 8 ish. I don't know whether they actually go around checking IDs at that time, but I've seen signs saying that they all have to be out by 8.
Yep Wetherspoons normally go round a few times and pick up on the underagers. What always amuses me though is the 25 year olds getting kicked out because they have no ID whilst a bunch of 15 year old girls walks in with no problem at all.
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ I've never had any problem with Wetherspoons.

It's mainly clubs that are tighter on age control, pubs never seem too bothered. I'm 16 and have been into loads of pubs and I've never been ID'd once. If they do ask for ID can't you just use fake ID? I've never known any pub to be particularly uptight about ID, just wave one in their face if they ask and it's fine.
Dark and Lovely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kjc_us)
^ I've never had any problem with Wetherspoons.

It's mainly clubs that are tighter on age control, pubs never seem too bothered. I'm 16 and have been into loads of pubs and I've never been ID'd once. If they do ask for ID can't you just use fake ID? I've never known any pub to be particularly uptight about ID, just wave one in their face if they ask and it's fine.
Where the heck do you live....most bouncers take mine out my hand when i do get ided and read it....and i do not look young, i'm 5'10 and can pass for 21-apparently.
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah, most places here must be checking them as so many of my friends have had their fake IDs confiscated!

I think I might try going to the pub before 8pm and see what happens. Lots of make up and high heels...I'm sure I'll get in! lol. I went to a gig a few months back actually, and they put wristbands on over 18s as they went through the doors and I was given a wristband without them even asking for ID which surprised me as they had asked people in front of me for ID!
kjc_us
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dark and Lovely)
Where the heck do you live....most bouncers take mine out my hand when i do get ided and read it....and i do not look young, i'm 5'10 and can pass for 21-apparently.
I live in Scotland but I spend most of the year in England, in the Midlands. I never have any problem wherever I go.
CheesyBeans
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am young looking and always get asked for ID but I used to go to the pubs every weekend when I was 17. This was a few years ago though before places got mega tight on ID. Like the others have say you will probably be alright during the day but some places will keep an eye out for underagers, especially in the school holidays I find, and you might be asked to leave. You should be ok with little pubs in your town but I woudn't bother trying with ones in town/city centres.
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've nearly been kicked out even with ID! It's cos it was an ID with the pass logo so if you are over 18 take passport or drivers license. I've learned my lesson with Wetherspoons lol.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
If there aren't any bouncers then it's unlikely anyone will tell you to leave. Just don't order any drinks, even if they're not alcoholic. A lot of places will only serve over 18s even if they aren't buying alcohol.
I think technically U18s aren't allowed at the bar. Once I went with a friend to the bar; I ordered cider and didn't get IDed, he ordered orange juice and did.

Even though I look young I haven't gotten IDed much recently - in fact I got by in Wetherspoons the other week! Probably because I go after work so even if I am not wearing my suit I probably still look a bit older, I got up early so it's been longer since I shaved (and this is noticeable) etc... also I haven't been to Wetherspoons / places in the middle of town much!

You might get by in a local pub without bouncers if you don't try and order at the bar. Or you could just wait, like many of us had to (until July for me - I'm younger than most of my friends).
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Christophicus)
I've nearly been kicked out even with ID! It's cos it was an ID with the pass logo so if you are over 18 take passport or drivers license. I've learned my lesson with Wetherspoons lol.
what's wrong with the pass logo? :confused: I really need to get my provisional license then don't i?
mrmud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I miss being underaged in a way cause its more fun getting served I'm only just 18 (April) and have never really had a problem in getting served! Its all about looking confident me thinks, worked for me anyway!
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sometimes I miss being underage because when you're 18 it's a social faux-pas to sit and drink in a park instead of going to the pub. Plus people don't have as many house parties because you can just go to the pub instead.
Fishfinger Sandwich
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had some trouble buying booze before I was 18 in bars down town/in the city but in village pubs I was fine.
It just depends on the place.
Alasdair
Report 11 years ago
Pubs have a right to refuse entry to anybody they like...

Wow, what a waste of my 5000th post.
Crystal89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got kicked out of various Wetherspoons so many times before I was 18 lol. Even when I didn't get ID'ed on the way in, I'd either get asked at the bar (when I was ordering a soft drink/food) or they'd actually come to the table and everyone had to produce ID. I don't think there's any law saying you can't come in under the age of 18, it's just with a group of friends they think you'd get alcohol from them and they don't need the hassle I suppose. If you walked in with your parents I doubt they'd care.

Bouncers where I live are so harsh. It's not enough to have ID, you're questioned about it too.
'What's your middle name?'
'What's your starsign?' (Ones who fancy themselves as comedians)
And my personal favourite:
'Where did you get your licence from?'
I'm so tempted to reply 'yeah I bought it off a drug dealer down an alley' but I doubt they'd see the funny side.
Drarren
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get really annoyed as most of my mates go to pubs and things all the time and normally get in (and most of them are younger than me), yet when I try I always get ID'd and told to go away, damn youthful face, lol.
6 months and I'll actually be 18, so wont be a problem much longer thankfully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1348)
79.67%
Leave (344)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed