Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any point in applying to a course that is irrelevant to your personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a Chem Eng applicant who is planning to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, Bath and Birmingham. Therefore, my personal statement is completely focused on Chemical Engineering as well.

The grades I have achieved are
    A in AS Maths (AQA, 300/300 UMS, 100%)
    A in AS Further Maths (AQA, 290/300 UMS, 96.7%)
    A* prediction in Physics (college internal exam, not AS, due to it being a reformed subject)
    and A* prediction in Chemistry (college internal exam too)

However, I am also thinking of applying to another degree that interests me apart from Chem Eng and suits the subjects I am studying now as well as my fifth option, such as Actuarial Science in LSE or Civil Engineering in Warwick.

Therefore, I wonder if there is any point in doing so. Will unis still accept an applicant with an irrelevant to course PS (But the A level subjects are relevant) if they have excellent results or will they simply eliminate this applicant immediately?

ReputationRep:
    LSE looks at the PS carefully so no for them.
    But maybe Warwick will accept you since you do have very high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    LSE looks at the PS carefully so no for them.
    But maybe Warwixk will accept you since you do have very high grades.
    What about Nat Sci or other types of Engineering in UCL? Do you think it accepts this kind of students as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ML8020)
    What about Nat Sci or other types of Engineering in UCL? Do you think it accepts this kind of students as well?
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes universities let you put a little more information in a separate personal statement just for them. I'd email them and tell them your situation to see if they'll let you do this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.