Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got 139/200 on Edexcel GCSE Maths (Linear) it was 140/200 for an A so I missed out by 1 mark!! I feel I was generously marked but think the boundaries were quite high this year compared to last. Any comments? (I did get my paper remarked, it was unchanged)

ReputationRep:
    First of all well done- boundaries were tough this year- I was lucky to get an A this year but I think I may have just scraped it because I've never got more than 114 marks whenever I did past papers
    I would say you should talk to your teacher before considering a remark but doubt (no matter how generously your paper was marked) that your grade goes down, however, with maths you're either right or wrong so even finding one more mark maybe a little difficult. See what your teacher has to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algebraqueen)
    I got 139/200 on Edexcel GCSE Maths (Linear) it was 140/200 for an A so I missed out by 1 mark!! I feel I was generously marked but think the boundaries were quite high this year compared to last. Any comments? (I did get my paper remarked, it was unchanged)
    Well, it seems like you really want an A, so I guess you'll just have to resit. However, be cautious that a handful of good universities do not consider GCSE resits and only consider the first results.

ReputationRep:
    My fear is that with a resit, you may have to do the (MUCH HARDER!) Specification, graded from 9-1. Therefore, I suggest a remark. A friend of my was 1 mark away from an A*. He requested one, and it instantly came back as an A*. I think the examiners know how tough the grade boundaries were this year (Not matching the difficulty of the paper) and are being super lenient. Letting those who were 1 mark away a free pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locyce)
    My fear is that with a resit, you may have to do the (MUCH HARDER!) Specification, graded from 9-1. Therefore, I suggest a remark. A friend of my was 1 mark away from an A*. He requested one, and it instantly came back as an A*. I think the examiners know how tough the grade boundaries were this year (Not matching the difficulty of the paper) and are being super lenient. Letting those who were 1 mark away a free pass.
    Hi, I believe there are still resit options available for the current specification. Also, grade boundaries are not determined until after examiners have marked. They are not simply giving marks away, otherwise what is the point of the boundaries? They were not significantly higher than usual, they were representative of the difficulty and performance of candidates. The same amount achieved an A* this year than last year.

ReputationRep:
    There are two resit opportunities for the old specs, one in November and one in the summer of 2017. That said, with a B already you might have to convince your school or college to enter you. Assuming that's what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    No. I was one of an a star ! Remark came back the same ! Heartbroken

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.