Access course to medicine entry requirements query.

Watch
ameliasophie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to lay out the context of my academic and future professional background before I establish the questions related to access course to medicine. Firstly, I am a second year student nurse in a three year nursing degree in university, studying adult nursing. I had a sort of epiphany like experience in my first year as a student nurse (which is an overly inconvenient thing when I look back to it retrospectively) about potentially considering medicine in my late twenties. I am passionate about becoming an A&E nurse after I graduate, but I feel like I want to become a doctor in the future.
I will graduate and be a fully qualified RGN at the age of 22 and I thought about working in A&E until I'm 27 years old. At the age of 28 I'm thinking about applying to an Access Course to medicine at Sussexs Downs College. In view of this , however, I have already done Biology at AS level which I did not get a good mark at (an E) which I dropped in college, so that I didn't continue it to A2. In many of the access course to medicine, in the entry requirement it is clearly stipulated that they will not accept any applicants whom have had a science background beyond GCSE level.Although, I did overall get good A level scores: ABB in Health and Social Care Double Award (AB) and English Literature (B), which are not technically science related.
So overall my main question is , do you think that the educational institutions that offer Access Course to Medicine will still consider me as a potential applicant considering the nursing experience I will gain by the age of 27 in lieu of the fact that I studied AS level Biology? I do love Biology because I'm currently learning about Anatomy and Physiology in my nursing course but I felt disconnected my Biology course in College which overall reflected in my AS grade.
Here is the information booklet about 'Access to Medicine'by Sussexs Downs College:
http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-cont...-info-1617.pdf
Many thanks to those who will answer me down below. Amelia
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ameliasophie)
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to lay out the context of my academic and future professional background before I establish the questions related to access course to medicine. Firstly, I am a second year student nurse in a three year nursing degree in university, studying adult nursing. I had a sort of epiphany like experience in my first year as a student nurse (which is an overly inconvenient thing when I look back to it retrospectively) about potentially considering medicine in my late twenties. I am passionate about becoming an A&E nurse after I graduate, but I feel like I want to become a doctor in the future.
I will graduate and be a fully qualified RGN at the age of 22 and I thought about working in A&E until I'm 27 years old. At the age of 28 I'm thinking about applying to an Access Course to medicine at Sussexs Downs College. In view of this , however, I have already done Biology at AS level which I did not get a good mark at (an E) which I dropped in college, so that I didn't continue it to A2. In many of the access course to medicine, in the entry requirement it is clearly stipulated that they will not accept any applicants whom have had a science background beyond GCSE level.Although, I did overall get good A level scores: ABB in Health and Social Care Double Award (AB) and English Literature (B), which are not technically science related.
So overall my main question is , do you think that the educational institutions that offer Access Course to Medicine will still consider me as a potential applicant considering the nursing experience I will gain by the age of 27 in lieu of the fact that I studied AS level Biology? I do love Biology because I'm currently learning about Anatomy and Physiology in my nursing course but I felt disconnected my Biology course in College which overall reflected in my AS grade.
Here is the information booklet about 'Access to Medicine'by Sussexs Downs College:
http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-cont...-info-1617.pdf
Many thanks to those who will answer me down below. Amelia

Umm I don't quite get the idea of working until 27 before you apply and then doing an access. It seems like a very long, convoluted route. A lot can change in 5 years and I think if you wait until then you may find that you're priorities are completely different anyway,

If you want to apply to medicine, use your nursing degree and apply to graduate entry courses. You may be a bit more limited because nursing isn't always considered scientific enough and you don't have chemistry. Studying an a-level in chemistry would open up more doors for you. And more doors than the access would.

I don't know the exact rules about access but they are access to higher education(i.e. designed for those without the existing qualifications necessary to get in to university for the first time). I don't think you can qualify to do one if you already have a degree.
ameliasophie
Rep:
?
Hey ForestCat,
Thank you for your advice It is indeed a very convoluted route to medicine and I probably might change my mind. It is not a certain thing that I will apply to medicine in the future- but it seems like a potential route that bearing in mind if I'm content and love my nursing, I will stick to nursing, as nursing in it's own respect it a fulfilling job once I found my niche.
Its strange because some people would consider just taking A level courses again to get in, but in my case access course to medicine seems more appealing because they offer an integrated level of study that includes not just the sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) but also Maths, Methodology and Research ,and Social sciences. Some say I should take a foundation/pre-clinical year which offers the fundamental sciences before I get accepted into the usual five year medical course which are offered in specific universities.
As to The Access Course to Medicine in Sussexs Downs College, they state this in their booklet:

Who is it for?It is a course for mature students who, having achieved in other areas, now wish to retrainas doctors. These include those with experience in other health related professions those whose initial career choice has proved unsatisfying and who wish to changetheir field of employment to the health care sector those who have previously studied in higher education, but whose studies did notconstitute a suitable preparation for medical training. "

"Students who have degrees which would allow direct entry (such as Bio‐medical degrees, ordegrees that have a major component of Biology and Chemistry) will not be accepted ontothe course. Prospective students must also have a proven record of achievement in the workplace,especially areas of employment which require good communication skills. Previousexperience of employment in a health setting, or work of a voluntary nature, although notessential, is desirable and such students will be given preference. "

Any more advice? Thank you )) Amelia.
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The access still wouldn't be the best option. It would be of a lower level than your nursing degree and wouldn't increase where you could apply. Only certain universities accept it. Your best shot is just using your nursing degree or doing chemistry a-level to widen the range of places you can apply.
Plus I am not sure you would qualify anyway. You have a healthcare degree, which is the exact opposite of what they say their course is for.

You are not funded on the 5 year degree if you already have a degree. You would have to pay the tuition fees yourself, for a total of £36k (as it stands now) over the first four years.

I suggest having a look at the wiki to get a better idea about applying to medicine as a graduate.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

ameliasophie
Rep:
?
Thank you Forest Cat, this is really useful information. I'm already aware that I will not get funding considering that I will leave university with a degree, but I don't mind funding my education.
Ahh most of the GEM courses requre GAMSAT exams- sounds daunting hahaha.
Thank you again- Amelia.
ForestCat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you Forest Cat, this is really useful information. I'm already aware that I will not get funding considering that I will leave university with a degree, but I don't mind funding my education.
Ahh most of the GEM courses requre GAMSAT exams- sounds daunting hahaha.
Thank you again- Amelia.
You do get funding for the 4 year course, and you get maintenance loans for the 5 year but not tuition fees. I would certainly aim for the 4 year course. Doctors really don't earn enough to justify paying 36k up front.
ameliasophie
Rep:
?
Thank you again. Ahh,,so many things to consider!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads