Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about GCSE Higher English Language provisional result? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does AQA notify colleges if their students' Controlled Assessments' marks have been changed during moderation before the college send the provisional results to its students?

ReputationRep:
    Which board?

ReputationRep:
    AQA. Thank you for pointing out this omission. I've edited my question now.

ReputationRep:
    No. AQA don't release moderator reports until after provisional results are issued.

ReputationRep:
    So, for example, if a college had marked one of its students' controlled assessments 52/90 and AQA's provisional result is 42/90 there is no way to find out if a clerical error was made or if AQA reduced the college's marks?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is a way. They won't have know BEFORE results but they will now. The school should now have the moderator reports and if they don't they can ring AQA and find out. If it is a moderator adjustment it won't only be your coursework that has gone down.

ReputationRep:
    What happen if you have already asked your college if it was a moderation adjustment and they told you they wont give you further information?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, in that case there's very little you can do about it. If your school doesn't agree with moderator's adjustment then they can appeal it but it doesn't sound as though they're going to be doing that. Unfortunately it sounds as though your teacher's marking was a little too generous and any internal standardisation failed to pick it up. This might be why they're refusing to give you any further information. Very annoying and frustrating for you!

ReputationRep:
    It is also what I think. In fact, all 2014-15 all the students from this college fail their GCSE English Language because of the same issue. They had a provisional C to A result. However, after moderation, they fail because the college's marking was too generous. This college also does not follow the AQA Controlled Assessments and Mock Exams marking criteria. I am considering logging a complaint via the Skills Funding Agency to express my concern about this college's standard and practice. My college has ignored my direct complaint.

Do you recommend any other step I should follow, please?

I am a single mum, and I worked hard over the past academic year doing both my GCSE Higher Maths and Higher English Language. I have passed my GCSE Higher Maths. I should have had a B* for my GCSE English Language. Instead, I received a D because I had 25 raw marks for one of my Controlled Assessments revoked by AQA. My college's internal standardisation failed to notice I was not following the criteria although my work was consulted by three tutors and marked twice. It seems I have also lost ten raw marks for my other Controlled Assessments. I am only two raw marks of the published grade C boundary to progress to level 3 study.

I am devestated. My daughter is only three years old. I can not redo the exam in November. I have other obligations. I do not have the stamina to reattend my GCSE English classes. I am demoralised. This college should be made liable for ruining its students future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry this is so devastating for you but please don't give up. You are so very close. It is clear you are capable of achieving the grade so don't let this put you off. It does sound as though the college have let you down badly and I would certainly suggest a formal complaint. Perhaps you could speak to the college about resitting the exam without having to redo the whole course? Hopefully the English tutors will receive a kick to the behind for their shoddy work and the college will understand your situation. Failing that you could you find somewhere else to study or do a distance learning course?

I think if I were you I would make an appointment with the college principal and explain that you feel they have really let you down and see what they suggest. You might find they are willing to help.

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that those kind of moderator adjustments are catastrophic and quite uncommon. This won't have escaped the attention of whoever is in charge of the college's performance so it is quite likely they'll be understanding and accommodating. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. This is an Adult Education College. Each GCSE courses is held two hours, twice a week for eight months only. They do not do resit.
    I have already complained to English Programme Manager, the college's Quality Manager, and the Principal was copied to all our correspondences. I am aware that they are buying time since complaints should be logged to external departments within three months.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to the College's reception on Wednesday morning to pay the £34.50 appeal fee for the remark of my GCSE Coursework on the ground that:
    • I am only 2 raw marks of the published grade C boundary to progress to level 3 study.
    • I need to know if an error was made or if my marks were reduced by the examination board. My Controlled Assessments' total raw mark was originally (CA1 = 00/30 + CA2 = 18/20 + CA3 = 17/20 + CA4 = 17/20) 52/90 and not 42/90.
    It is a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    They may not ordinarily do a resit, however that does not mean they can't. If you push with your complaint they might enter you for one. They are clearly responsible for this (those type of adjustments are not the result of any mistake you have made) and should at least try to put it right!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and you shouldn't have to pay it. They should foot the bill themselves. Disgusting. Again though, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle-Annie)
    So, for example, if a college had marked one of its students' controlled assessments 52/90 and AQA's provisional result is 42/90 there is no way to find out if a clerical error was made or if AQA reduced the college's marks?
    Whilst I'm not saying the school wasn't moderated down - anecdotally it seems more centres were this year than ever before - do you understand that the raw mark is converted to a UMS mark which is the mark you get on results day. and it is not a straight multiplication? Assuming you are talking about ENL03, the raw mark is out of 80 and the UMS out of 120 and you can find the conversion here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ.../ums-converter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Whilst I'm not saying the school wasn't moderated down - anecdotally it seems more centres were this year than ever before - do you understand that the raw mark is converted to a UMS mark which is the mark you get on results day. and it is not a straight multiplication? Assuming you are talking about ENL03, the raw mark is out of 80 and the UMS out of 120 and you can find the conversion here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ.../ums-converter
    Hi,

I understand the difference between raw marks and UMS. The reason why I used the raw marks is because controlled assessments are marked in raw marks by college and not UMS. The UMS is only used by AQA to provide the final grade. ;-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.