The Student Room Group

How do you deal with the physical feeling that comes with emotion?

If I feel a strong (negative) emotion, is it possible to just live with it until it goes away? This emotion gives me an uneasy feeling in my stomach and a tight feeling in my chest, but I know there's nothing I can do about the situation that's caused it.
All emotions are temporary, right? :cry2:
Original post by Anonymous
If I feel a strong (negative) emotion, is it possible to just live with it until it goes away? This emotion gives me an uneasy feeling in my stomach and a tight feeling in my chest, but I know there's nothing I can do about the situation that's caused it.
All emotions are temporary, right? :cry2:

No, it is a bad idea to ignore the situation that has caused the symptoms, regardless as to whether you can change the situation or not, and especially as this strong emotion has manifested itself as physical pain. The pain/ symptoms you have listed above and experienced may lead to other health complications, as your body is under stress, while dealing with negative emotion, which in the short term is relatively harmless, but will impact your health in the longer term.
make sure to speak to someone, and to tell someone how you're feeling!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I know what you mean, I get this feeling off too both caused by a certain situation or randomly and it feels like it'll never pass but I can promise you, it does pass.

What helps me is firstly try and fix anything I can with the problem that fixed it if possible, then I do some gentle exercises such as going for a walk while listening to music, dance around my flat, tidy up etc, go for a bath, when my back and chest are tight I ask my bf for a massage, I watch my favourite funny TV show and I also make sure I talk about how I am feeling and also the situation that caused it if I feel maybe someone else can come up with a way to help me with it. I also try and get as much sleep as I can. Think can be hard as I have an insomnia at the best of times, let alone when I feel like crap.

All these things can help but it wont get rid of the emotion entirely but over time, be it a few minutes, hours or days, it does help to lessen what I am feeling. Accepting what you are feeling and time are the only sure fire ways to get rid of the unpleasant feelings, mentally and physically.
Reply 3
Okay your feelings are never going to go away. I dont want to sounds all nerdy but the brain-gut loop implies that every feeling you have is caused by thoughts (whether theyre consious or subconsious). You only feel the emotion when you have the thought, so if you want to stop feeling it, you need to speak to someone. If you're in education, they will usually provide free counciling but judging by the physical effects, you will need therapy. You're chest going tight is quite rare to be an emotional problem, since your emotions only effect the processes in your gut (hormone release, changes in blood pressure, etc), so I would advise you ask your GP just to be safe.. if you private messaged me the underlying issue, I may be able to actually give decent support
Can you do some breathing exercises?

Quick Reply

Latest