Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year I failed my AS Levels. I "achieved" an E in Electronics and a U in Physics and Maths. I was told by my College that I wouldn't be allowed to continue my courses. This was crushing, I had gone through the summer expecting to do better next year, to show everyone that I was capable at Physics. I didn't know what else to do, I had no Art portfolio to show my college, so chasing a career as a concept artist was out of the question. They recommended a BTEC in Physics, telling me I would have no problem getting distinction grades. But I didn't want that either, it felt like accepting second best. I wanted to give it my all, aim for the top. At the time it felt like nobody believed in me and I was angry at everyone I had looked up to.

In the end I chose Maths, Psychology and Politics. These are all very interesting courses, but I'm sure they'll only bring me stress. Writing essays isn't my speciality. I can't see myself giving my all, I feel like I would have to change who I am to succeed in this area. It feels like I've accepted defeat, too easily... I would have preferred to go out kicking, but I just kind of said "You're right, I won't succeed, have it your way, I'll pick something else".

Today a friend was telling me that he was going to pick Physics, and the other day someone tried to use quantum number as a metaphor for determining the value of life. It made me miss Physics, I love Astronomy and Particle Physics. I'm sure I can learn to love mechanics. I remembered my dream for the future. Working at the VAB with NASA, or at CERN. Being a part of a driving force, accelerating the world to a better future. Improving the lives of others, whether they know my name or not.

Seriously look at this building, it's bloody beautiful.

I don't know if I should push to do Physics again. I have a handful of excuses about what happened last year, but they won't change anything. I know I can do better, I am ready to devote all of my time to this. I understand what is expected of me. But on the other hand, my College might persist that I don't pick Physics. I was hoping that they'd give me the first month to see if I was sure of my decision, but I fear that if I ask to change my course they'll see me as indecisive.

TL;DR: Flunked AS level, but I want to continue. I don't know if I should or if I should accept defeat and become a statistician or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrietRandall)
    Last year I failed my AS Levels. I "achieved" an E in Electronics and a U in Physics and Maths. I was told by my College that I wouldn't be allowed to continue my courses. This was crushing, I had gone through the summer expecting to do better next year, to show everyone that I was capable at Physics. I didn't know what else to do, I had no Art portfolio to show my college, so chasing a career as a concept artist was out of the question. They recommended a BTEC in Physics, telling me I would have no problem getting distinction grades. But I didn't want that either, it felt like accepting second best. I wanted to give it my all, aim for the top. At the time it felt like nobody believed in me and I was angry at everyone I had looked up to.

In the end I chose Maths, Psychology and Politics. These are all very interesting courses, but I'm sure they'll only bring me stress. Writing essays isn't my speciality. I can't see myself giving my all, I feel like I would have to change who I am to succeed in this area. It feels like I've accepted defeat, too easily... I would have preferred to go out kicking, but I just kind of said "You're right, I won't succeed, have it your way, I'll pick something else".

Today a friend was telling me that he was going to pick Physics, and the other day someone tried to use quantum number as a metaphor for determining the value of life. It made me miss Physics, I love Astronomy and Particle Physics. I'm sure I can learn to love mechanics. I remembered my dream for the future. Working at the VAB with NASA, or at CERN. Being a part of a driving force, accelerating the world to a better future. Improving the lives of others, whether they know my name or not.

I don't know if I should push to do Physics again. I have a handful of excuses about what happened last year, but they won't change anything. I know I can do better, I am ready to devote all of my time to this. I understand what is expected of me. But on the other hand, my College might persist that I don't pick Physics. I was hoping that they'd give me the first month to see if I was sure of my decision, but I fear that if I ask to change my course they'll see me as indecisive.

TL;DR: Flunked AS level, but I want to continue. I don't know if I should or if I should accept defeat and become a statistician or something.
    Hello there,

Firstly, I am sorry about your disappointment. If I may ask, how has your performance been over the AS year? If you have a record of better grades for your desired courses and your end-of-year exams were exceptions, then I would urge you to persist. Even if that is not the case, then I would still advise that you consider continuing. Try to think about what it was that let you down and work on it. From your post, I can see that you have great passion for physics and, in my opinion, it would be a shame to let that go. Like you stated in your post, you may not give your all to your alternative options and that can only be a bad thing. I personally believe that work and passion can get one a long way.

To summarise, I would advise continuing with your dreams. Even if history were to repeat itself, surely it is better to study something you want than to be miserable doing something else.

Smithenator5000.

ReputationRep:
    Seems odd that they think you can get a distinction in BTEC - presumably they think you've got a considerable amount of ability.

IMO Have an honest think about what went wrong last year and what you can do about it going forward, ask if they'll let you explain your plan with a view to reconsidering - try find supporting evidence e.g.relevant gcse grades if they were good.

ReputationRep:
    Will they allow you to continue with physics ? Or can you do it in another school ? If YES to both, then DO PHYSICS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HarrietRandall)

You only get one life. If you know the risk, but you have faith in your ability and are prepared to do what it takes, then try and do what you want to do.

I would have just resat the year. be honest do you have the ability and it was just a bad day or have you shown a consistent failure to graps the subject? How are you doing with Maths? If you want to fo soemthing with astronomy, NASA or ESA then research and make some contacts so they can advise and inspire you.

A U is not to be taken lightly hence the retake of the year is a minimum. What do you have against BTEC? Its accepted by many Unis and with fewer exams is more controllable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.