Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    going to study a degree in accounting and finance then go on to train to become an accountant! any thoughts? tips?

will take 3 years to train and the money is very good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TweetToo)
    going to study a degree in accounting and finance then go on to train to become an accountant! any thoughts? tips?

where are you going to be studying?

ReputationRep:
    www.countingfish.com :P

ReputationRep:

You can do any degree (e.g Law, Mathematic, Economics and etc...) and still become an accountant. So If ur thinking of becoming and accountant you don't have to do BSc Acc & Fin.
    After graduation you could start ACA or CFA and takes around 4 yrs to become and accountant (Part time study while ur working as well)

ReputationRep:

Ironically, an accounting degree is one of the worst degrees to do if one wants to be an accountant. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    An Accounting degree isn't the worst, but you don't even need a degree to do ACCA or CIMA, the main accountancy qualifications.

However an Accounting degree will give lots of exemptions, so from that point it is the best to do.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly isn't the worst degree, nowhere near infact, but Economics, Finance, Business, Maths or Management would be just as useful. I would personally advice Economics for Accounting; but then I would. :rolleyes:

It's a boring degree, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    It certainly isn't the worst degree, nowhere near infact, but Economics, Finance, Business, Maths or Management would be just as useful. I would personally advice Economics for Accounting; but then I would. :rolleyes:

It's a boring degree, though.
    People say Maths, but only a small amount of Maths is sued in Accounting and a Maths degree would give (I believe) no exemptions from certainly the CIMA course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    People say Maths, but only a small amount of Maths is sued in Accounting and a Maths degree would give (I believe) no exemptions from certainly the CIMA course.
    that's true, but the reason that maths graduates are well sought after are because they are generally the best at problem solving

personally I wouldn't do an accounting degree course - it would just make you a pretty one-dimensional person without much knowledge outside of accounting, hence the reason why its not a particularly brilliant degree to do

also, a lot of people doing it can become disillusioned with accounting - its not much fun just doing study and no practical really

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the type of course you do - i'm doing a three year accounting and finance degree, but the first year is a 'common' year for all of management, so the accounting students do other aspects of business as well, such as management and economics. In the second and third years, they do primarily accounting and accounting related subjects - such as business and company law.

The obvious advantage of doing a degree in accounting is that (depending on where you do it) it'll give you exemptions from the first level of ACCA and CIMA exams. The ACCA website has a list of institutions with the levels of exams and relevent courses on it if you take a look

ReputationRep:
    sa-ra-ra, where do u(or did) study?[ignore that i just saw ur profile lol]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    where are you going to be studying?
    Hopefully Warwick but as i say it doesn't really matter too much, it's a degree at the end of the day everywhere needs accountants.
    when money is good and graduates will be on anything between £17,0000 to £26,000.
    Once they have fully qualified they can be earning from £30,000 rising with experience and size of the firm

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 about to go into year 13, and am undecided as to go to university and do a degree in accounting and finance at birmingham possibly, or try and do an AAT to ACA fast track training course earning and qualifying to become an accountant...

any thoughts on what would be better in the long run, or neither route will hamper my future prospects????

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.