Colour of Saris - Do They Have Meaning? Watch

Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I know white clothes mean morning and usually Indian brides wear red. I'd like to wear a sari but my wedding is not a traditional Indian/Hindu so I don't want to wear the traditional red/gold combo. But I don't want to wear a colour and have all my relatives laughing because I'm proclaiming myself to be a whore!

Any help you can provide would be fab, I've tried google but turned up nowt
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ask your relatives for tips I think the significance varies slightly between regions and traditional castes, all I know is to avoid black!
Le_désir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by iTalya)
I know white clothes mean morning and usually Indian brides wear red. I'd like to wear a sari but my wedding is not a traditional Indian/Hindu so I don't want to wear the traditional red/gold combo. But I don't want to wear a colour and have all my relatives laughing because I'm proclaiming myself to be a whore!

Any help you can provide would be fab, I've tried google but turned up nowt

awww how sweet your getting married! Congrats!

In the tradition yes ofcourse colour would mean something, but nowadays its all about whats in the trend , and whats hip and whats not.
I dont think you should bother what your relatives are going to laugh about, after all its your special day, who gives a damn?
I would suggest electric blues, turquoises, if you read the Asian Bride, or Asian Women magazine you would see a variety of elegant, sexy saris that would suit your body shape, your style etc.
Asiana has some fab saris, personally dont get the full cover up saris, go for the one sided shoulder thing thats really in, with a bit of flesh showing here and there, it doesnt look slutty but looks quite elegant.
http://www.asianwomanmag.com/
http://www.asianamag.com/

May I also suggest fish tail style indian dresses?
They look so sexy for a wedding

Good luck, please do post pictures of you looking stunning
Remo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i would advise blue, purple, maybe not black and not yellow
Le_désir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh I also wanted to suggest some of these designers ...

http://www.hsystudio.com/#
http://visagepk.com/iss44/fashion_1.html
http://www.tazeenhasan.com/

If I can think of more I will definately add more in, just browse the links and you will see a variety !
Talya
Rep:
?
Ooh thanks for the designer suggestions. Not 100% sure I'll go with sari in the end (got 3 years to decide!) but thanks for all the help

(Equally welcome anyone who does know the meanings!)
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ i just clicked ur profile . . ur only 19 and ur already getting married
suga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My suggestion would be to go with white/off white/cream/ivory

and if your not too sure about a sari what about a lengha?......it's kind of like a two piece dress and they often come with trails now as well......alot of indian shops now cater to a fusion style wedding lengha in western bridal colours, so you can still have the indian look but without the red

(just remembered, my sister actually wore a pastel shade of gold for her wedding......and from what ive seen in indian shops lately gold is very in this summer)
suga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about.....

suga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

these are from utsavsarees.org

and the ones before are from rckc.co.uk
Talya
Rep:
?
I don't know if I want a dress that shows off my belly... I am not fat but I would be scared that when I sat down I would end up with a muffin top!

I will look into white/ivory.. I think they would look nice with silver decorations (and all my wedding jewellery would be platinum/white gold with diamonds)

I love brain storming, even so far before the big day!
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oooh I love saris! Shame I haven't got any though.:s: Does anyone have any suggestions where to get some bright colour floaty ones from, in the London region or from online with a UK branch perhaps? I've looked on the internet too but to no avail.:s: You don't have to be/look traditional in order to wear them and look reszpectable do you? Because I'm not...
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
brick lane
suga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Southall Broadway...........Green Street

Lengha's don't always have a short top, there are so many different styles to choose from! I know quite a few brides who have also wore baby pink in the past

For other ideas you could also check out bollywood movies lol theres actually a website called dmi india who sell bollywood outfits as seen in the movies
Talya
Rep:
?
I already have a baby pink Salwar Kameez but I don't think I'd like baby pink as my wedding dress.. I liked the earlier suggestion of an ivory sari.. then it's not white but still incorporates an English traditional colour (my fiance is british)

He's going to wear an indian style suit though, I think they look ace (Can anyone enlighten me as to what these are called too?)

EDIT: I found it.. A sherwani.
suga
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by iTalya)
I already have a baby pink Salwar Kameez but I don't think I'd like baby pink as my wedding dress.. I liked the earlier suggestion of an ivory sari.. then it's not white but still incorporates an English traditional colour (my fiance is british)

He's going to wear an indian style suit though, I think they look ace (Can anyone enlighten me as to what these are called too?)

EDIT: I found it.. A sherwani.
Thats sounds so cool! there are loads of sherwani shops in birmingham now and they even sell the matching shoes lol my cousin bro is getting married next week and he is wearing a turquise one, when he first told us we found it quite strange but apparently turquise is really in this summer for sherwani's
Talya
Rep:
?
Turquoise!? Not for him.. maybe black or navy blue. I have a pic of my dad in one and I might take that into the shop and ask if they can reproduce it.
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To anyone that has saris or more knowledge than me on them , how much did you pay for your saris? Because I've seen some nice ones that can be custom tailored too, but they cost about 150 pounds and upwards, with some around 450 and 800 pounds...

:eek3:
BabyGirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on where you've bought them! Usually I never spend more than £30-£40? Although I spent £70 on my last sari because it was gorgeous, loadsa handwork, so beautiful!

Personally I think those prices sound rip offs, but I usually bargain ALOT. These shops can spot someone who doesn't know much about saris from a mile off and try and take more money than its worth
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BabyGirl)
Depends on where you've bought them! Usually I never spend more than £30-£40? Although I spent £70 on my last sari because it was gorgeous, loadsa handwork, so beautiful!

Personally I think those prices sound rip offs, but I usually bargain ALOT. These shops can spot someone who doesn't know much about saris from a mile off and try and take more money than its worth
Where did you get your saris from then? Because I'm trying to find some.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.76%
No (572)
60.27%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.97%

Watched Threads