Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm going into my first year soon and will be living in halls, but then for second year I'll most likely end up finding private accommodation with friends etc. I know it's looking ahead but has anyone had a boyfriend/girlfriend (not at uni themselves) coming to live with them as well, and like what was your experience like with it? Like did housemates find it weird or were the landlords a bit weird about it if the partner isn't a student as well?

    You can't usually have a non student in a student house. For a start most landlords won't want you to share a room for the same price as it screws them out of another person's rent, next if they have council tax exclusions and stuff for students you then can't have a non student living there. Many flatmates aren't happy with it (you see plenty of threads on here about boyfriends moving in) as they use more space, electric, water and a couple can make people feel they can't use the kitchen/living room if you're often in there.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.