Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deep discussion about death, psychedelics, the meaning of life and stuff. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What a classy title that was! Well, recently that stuff has really interested me. I suppose I took one of those 'finding yourself' summers where I explore a lot and spend a lot of time in solitude and it left me a lot of time to think about the really deep stuff.

So, I was wondering if any of you would like to share your thoughts on these matters? What do you think happens when we die (religious or not)? How do you think psychedelic drugs work and how do they make us see such spiritual things that lots of users see the same version of? Is the human mind capable of more than we know? Share all your thoughts here, I'm very interested to hear them all!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Death is a hard one. I refuse to accept that we simply de-materialize or cease to exist. I get a gut feeling that there has to be something afterwards, be it Judgement Day, reincarnation, or whatever, simply disappearing doesn't cut it for my mind. I guess none of us will know for sure unless we go, or you could listen to those near death experiences. Even before I was taught anything about the afterlife, I've always seen dying as "Going to Level 2", rather than "Game Over" if you understand.

Not sure about the psychedelic drugs and the effects on the mind. Definitely research it though.

Definitely think the Human Mind is capable of things beyond our understanding. We're just scrapping the surface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan187)
    Death is a hard one. I refuse to accept that we simply de-materialize or cease to exist. I get a gut feeling that there has to be something afterwards, be it Judgement Day, reincarnation, or whatever, simply disappearing doesn't cut it for my mind. I guess none of us will know for sure unless we go, or you could listen to those near death experiences. Even before I was taught anything about the afterlife, I've always seen dying as "Going to Level 2", rather than "Game Over" if you understand.

Not sure about the psychedelic drugs and the effects on the mind. Definitely research it though.

Definitely think the Human Mind is capable of things beyond our understanding. We're just scrapping the surface.
    Yeah I struggle to accept that we simple cease to exist too- I don't understand how all this thought and memory can just suddenly stop and turn to nothing, our brains don't even stop thinking when we're asleep being as we dream so how do we stop when we die. I know that being a biologist I should know the scientific explanation and accept it but I just can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaL.AM)
    Yeah I struggle to accept that we simple cease to exist too- I don't understand how all this thought and memory can just suddenly stop and turn to nothing, our brains don't even stop thinking when we're asleep being as we dream so how do we stop when we die. I know that being a biologist I should know the scientific explanation and accept it but I just can't.
    Yeah it scares me too, to know that I will not exist after i'll die.

But at least we are all in this together.
    That's what comforts me personally.
    I mean we are all together in this, it's not like some of us are going to die and some will not.
    We all share the same destination.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.