Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    PPE vs Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Hi, I know I make lots of these threads but I haven't made one about this issue,

I'm trying to decide whether to apply for PPE at Oxford (LMH for college)

In terms of grades I am strong (10A*s at GCSE and all A's at AS with high UMS) but I know how important the TSA is..

I'm not getting great scores in it, my past three scores have gone 63.6 60.8 and 56.7

Clearly the last one is terrible and would be a guaranteed rejection without interview

I don't know which of those scores are the best indicator of my ability

What should I do? Should I apply anyway even though I have a history of poor TSA scores?

Thanks for any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your grades are excellent (top grades all the way) and to be honest many would have lower. Try practising as many past papers as you can now from now on and getting one of those TSA guides (I used the Ultimate TSA Guide). Also practise past papers under timed conditions (be very strict with this). This is the most practical way to boost your scores, it really does come through practice to develop a 'feel'/'instinct' with the questions.

I reckon for PPE 65+ would be a good score. If you're constantly in the 60s (that 56.7 was just a slip; many papers are harder than the other, and on the flip side, many are easier and hence the 'score boundaries' are higher so it'd a bit harder to score highly), then you can definitely push yourself into the high 60s through practice. Also pay attention to the Section B essays. Structure, cogent argument and logic are important and they're looking for an intellectual (and creative) flare in those. If you're good with these you'll really have a chance to stand out and the essay might salvage a slightly lower than average Section A score.

Just make sure you get plenty of practice and get the other aspects of your application particularly your PS to really stand out so that these may make up for a slightly lower TSA score if that happened to be.
    You have some time until November and there's definitely a chance!! It is true that the TSA is pretty much the determinant of whether you'll get an interview or not, but look, most people are lacking in the grades but hey you already have those, so don't let just a TSA stop you. If you have really set your heart on it, you need to give it your best and push through and the outcome might pleasantly surprise you if you never try you'll never know!

ReputationRep:
    inshallah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.