The Student Room Group

Are my parents being fair?

So ive decided to take a gap year and defer my place at university. I want to earn some money and travel for a year. I would like to put some money aside for uni then go travelling through a job and also go travelling. Although i did not tell my parents until the day of results when they asked me what I wanted to do. TTaking a gap year was my plan no matter what my results were even when signing up for UCAS. I think they feel like it came out of nowhere which i can understand. They are want me to carry on with uni this year even though i have nothing in terms of books, laptop ect. They told me if I was to take a gap year that i would to pay the bills which i was going to suggest but they also told me that if I was to ask to go out for any functions with friends they would most likely say no. Now im not saying im a party animal but most of my friends would be at uni or college anyway so i wouldn't even be going out frequently, especially when i would be working most of the time.I feel like this is unfair and its almost a scare tactic. I think they are afraid that i wont go to uni and ill lose interest even though I know i will go in a year's time. I have a job but the hourly pay is not too high so they want me to look for another, which i am doing. I just want some advice on how to approach them about their rules so we can reach a middle ground.
You probably should have told them earlier on about your plans to take a gap year so it was less of a shock to them.
The going out rule they've given you is over the top, at this point they can't tell you no you must not go out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending