Turn on thread page Beta

UMS on individual mdules and UMS overall watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, I know that your raw mark is changes into a UMS score for each module which determines the grade you get. However, do the grade boundaries change for the overall A level? ie- is it always 480 UMS to get an A, or can they change it?

ReputationRep:
    It is always 480 marks for an A at A Level, etc.

ReputationRep:
    its the boundary that determine what UMS you get that fluctuates, never the the UMS boundary itself

ReputationRep:
    Ah okie, I was wondering the same thing too.

All this UMS stuff confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Ah okie, I was wondering the same thing too.

All this UMS stuff confuses me.
    it confuses me too, somebody,WITHOUT REDIRECTING ME TO ANOTHER THREAD, explain to me what UMS marks are, plsss, ive just done my AS's im sure they are relevant to me so someone, pls explain it in a simple way xxxxxx

Ummm...I'll try.

Your exams are marked and moderated by the exam board and their "helpers". Each paper you do is given a raw mark. Senior examiners (in identical subjects) get together to compare the raw marks various candidates have achieved as well as comparing the difficulty of the papers this year to their counterparts in previous years.

The raw marks are then turned into a UMS (Uniform Mark / Module Score - not 100% sure what it stands for). There have been numerous explanations for how this is done (using distribution curves, multipliers etc) and I'm not quite sure how its ACTUALLY converted. However, the general correlation between the two is the same - a higher raw mark will lead to a better UMS. If this year's paper appears to be harder than the same module in previous years, then the same raw mark will convert to a higher UMS when compared to previous years. The UMS determines the grade u get. An AS level is marked out of 300 UMS, an A is always 80% (240/300), a B is always 70% (210/300) and so on.

Since it isn't evident how the raw mark - UMS conversion works, it is always hard to speculate the range of raw marks that constitute the various grades on offer.

Hope I've helped

KeN
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KeNsTeR)

The raw marks are then turned into a UMS (Uniform Mark / Module Score - not 100% sure what it stands for). There have been numerous explanations for how this is done (using distribution curves, multipliers etc) and I'm not quite sure how its ACTUALLY converted. However, the general correlation between the two is the same - a higher raw mark will lead to a better UMS. If this year's paper appears to be harder than the same module in previous years, then the same raw mark will convert to a higher UMS when compared to previous years. The UMS determines the grade u get. An AS level is marked out of 300 UMS, an A is always 80% (240/300), a B is always 70% (210/300) and so on.

Since it isn't evident how the raw mark - UMS conversion works, it is always hard to speculate the range of raw marks that constitute the various grades on offer.
    This is all accurate, however, it is possible to get,say,83/100 for the raw mark and end up with 100 UMS marks, because they scale the raw marks and stretch them (in both directions) so that,for eg, you needed 71/100 for an A in raw scores, by the time this is converted, you get more than the maximum ie 100 UMS marks).
    Conversely I have also seen students getting 37/100 as raw marks and ending up with 20UMS marks - It definitely gets stretched in both directions.
    The moral of the tale is to get more than half marks - then you are always going to get more UMS than raw scores!

Yeah...didn't want to rant on for too long though =)

I guess the only really confusing bit is how they convert raw to UMS since they get loads of raw mark - UMS combinations which are quite strange. I still think its probably some sort of statistical curve distribution method

KeN
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by KeNsTeR)
    Yeah...didn't want to rant on for too long though =)

I guess the only really confusing bit is how they convert raw to UMS since they get loads of raw mark - UMS combinations which are quite strange. I still think its probably some sort of statistical curve distribution method

KeN
    Yes - I suspect they use the mean raw and mean UMS (50) and standardise from there.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.