Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supertramp)
    Orange rhymes with Blorenge, a mountain in Wales. QI said so.
    :five: good call!! I was just going to say that

ReputationRep:
    minge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowmarshmellow)
    orange is one of those annoying words that don't rhyme with anything like... hmm.. camera?
    Camera rhymes with funeral, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    sporange
    My friend is nicknamed Sporange. I don't really know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    :five: good call!! I was just going to say that
    Surely that doesn't count since it's a Proper Noun.

ReputationRep:
    Shhh.

ReputationRep:
    Anything rhyme with nonsense?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    pence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel)
    Anything rhyme with nonsense?
    busted kinda rhymes with nonsense, or crescent

ReputationRep:
    Camera rhymes with funeral, right?
    I don't know how you're saying those words, but to me they definately don't rhyme.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RangerX)
    busted kinda rhymes with nonsense, or crescent
    Do you know what "rhymes" means? Serious question. All of these words you're giving us scan the same, but don't rhyme at all. Or maybe you're just taking the piss.

(Original post by Dalimyr)
    Cringe, fringe, infringe, hinge, syringe, singe...there are lots of words that end in an 'inj' sound I do personally feel that it should REALLY have an 'anj' sound, but really, nobody says it like that.
    Nobody where you're from, maybe. Anyway, the second syllable on orange is unstressed, all these words have a stressed last syllable. (I also refute that lozenge rhymes with orange. But can't be arsed to find the post claiming it does to quote it. :p:)

(Original post by more adventurous)
    pence.
    Again, it has a similar sound, but one is stressed and one is unstressed. I defy you to make those two rhyme. "Tuppence" works nicely though, because the second syllabus is unstressed, like "nonsense".

(Original post by silence)
    exempt (rhymes with dreamt?)
    If you don't pronounce the P. Which I do.

A lot of these posts fail to take any sort of dialect into consideration. What rhymes in one dialect ("Buddies' Hoodies", the name of a Young Enterprise company from my school; given that the words "look" and "luck" are pronounced exactly the same in my accent) will sometimes very obviously not rhyme in another.

ReputationRep:
    Duz nefin rime wif cat lyk?

Innnnit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Purple rhymes with Schlurple, the Vimto advert tells us so.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Most of the rhymes you've put forward for orange are actually only half- rhymes so don't really count. You'd say Or-inge, therefore Loz-enge isn't a full rhyme, but for the purposes of poetry you could get away with it if you desired!! Also, i think a lot is dependable upon your accent... like the guy who reckoned orange rhymed with porridge.... i'd like to hear how he says those words together...

I'm sure new words will be invented soon though to allow us to rhyme unimportant and unrelated words together... hurrah!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Surely that doesn't count since it's a Proper Noun.
    Surely you aren't doubting the great Stephen Fry and tthe QI elves are you!!

:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that orange rhymes with lozenge properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Do you know what "rhymes" means? Serious question. All of these words you're giving us scan the same, but don't rhyme at all. Or maybe you're just taking the piss.
    I think it depends on the way you pronounce it. If you ignore the words and just listen to the sound then it rhymes in my opinion
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    busted kinda rhymes with nonsense
    Are you being serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    Are you being serious?
    Depends on how you pronounce it. Both would rhymes if pronounce with the same tune. eg you re busted, you re nonsense lol,
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Depends on how you pronounce it. Both would rhymes if pronounce with the same tune. eg you re busted, you re nonsense lol,
    This isn't rhyme, this is scansion. Two words rhyme if the final syllables sound the same, e.g. plate, date, late, mate, irate, prostrate, circumnavigate. You're right that "busted" and "nonsense" scan the same, but they certainly don't rhyme. :p: The question is whether "orange" rhymes with anything - so, whether anything else has that unstressed -ange sound at the end. And I don't think it does.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.