Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting the Blueyonder 3Mbps connection for my student house next year. I was just wondering how I would go about connecting four other computers to it. If anyone could help with this I'd appreciate it - I'm just not too sure where to start!

ReputationRep:
    The best way is to buy a router, the router is the gateway and you connect a broadband modem to this, although you can get uses with built in modems like mine which makes life much easier.

Each PC is then connected to the router and each PC has always on internet access like schools/universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by law man)
    I'm thinking of getting the Blueyonder 3Mbps connection for my student house next year. I was just wondering how I would go about connecting four other computers to it. If anyone could help with this I'd appreciate it - I'm just not too sure where to start!
    Do just want to share the internet connection or do you want to transfer files/share files on the network?

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest option is to do it wirelessly.
    Assuming you have an external cable modem, you would just need to plug a router/receiver into it, and purchase wireless cards for the PCs/laptops and you're done, and it really isnt that expensive (we've just done it ourselves).

The best place to buy a router is www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk from personal experience. I managed to get a Belkin router/receiver for £50, and the card for my laptop was £25 (also Belkin).

ReputationRep:
    If your getting the blueyonder service then the modem that comes with it uses an ethernet port to connect to the pc/router at your end. If you want to share files as well between the two pc's then i would recommend using a standard 100mbit ethernet router and network cards as wired connections are much faster than wireless connections. Note also that most laptops have an ethernet port as standard.

If you only want to share the internet then it may be easier for you (depending on how the house can be wired up) to use a wireless connection, although configuring this is slightly more difficult than a wired connection and wireless networks are more expensive than wired ones.

I have 4 pc's connected up at home, on a 100mbit ethernet connection and the internet is shared through this router (http://www.usr.com/products/networki...p?sku=USR8000A) which was fairly cheap. This router also includes a print server, so you can connect a printer directly to the router and print from any of the machines connected to the network.

P.S. Hi Jamie.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, wireless is the way to go, no restrictions as long as you get a cool router. Some wireless routers are rubbish and you won't be able to use your PC more than a metre away. For wireless go NETGEAR or LINKSYS cool.
    You'll also want proxy to sort out the interent connection otherwise you'll have to mess around with the internals of the router.....could get messy....
    Yum
    Rich

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.