The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Opening Crisis for Creative Writing

I've just started writing my Personal Statement to send to my Universities where I wish to study Creative Writing, I tried to avoid any cliche's in my first draft of my opening statement, but as I'm not back to school yet to find out if its good from any professional's aka. teachers, I was wondering what other people thought of it. Sorry if it is quite cliche or cheesy, I just wanted it to stand out and for it to be quite profound.

My Personal Statement Opening is...

'Writing can often be one of the most difficult things I’ll ever find myself doing, and thats what fuels my passion for it. Its not the writing I find difficult, or the fact that like this personal statement, you want the end product to be perfect, my passion is to be inspiring, and I feel writing is one of the best ways to inspire . Words are very much under appreciated and sometimes the worlds biggest problems can be solved with something as simple as words. '
Bad news, you won't be able to use that opening now so it doesn't matter if it's good or bad. UCAS uses anti-plagiarism software that can identify anything in your PS that also appears elsewhere on the internet, and it seems your opening has already been cached by Google so removing it from your post won't make a difference. Don't post any part of your personal statement online except in the dedicated private personal statement forum that only trusted experts can read.

But for what it's worth, I think you should avoid talking about 'passion', say connect with people rather than inspire, and 'words are under appreciated' is a bizarre statement - do you really think that? I don't, and I suspect the admissions tutor won't either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Bad news, you won't be able to use that opening now so it doesn't matter if it's good or bad. UCAS uses anti-plagiarism software that can identify anything in your PS that also appears elsewhere on the internet, and it seems your opening has already been cached by Google so removing it from your post won't make a difference. Don't post any part of your personal statement online except in the dedicated private personal statement forum that only trusted experts can read.

But for what it's worth, I think you should avoid talking about 'passion', say connect with people rather than inspire, and 'words are under appreciated' is a bizarre statement - do you really think that? I don't, and I suspect the admissions tutor won't either.

Damn. I didn't know that, thank you anyway. I'll take what you said into account, its all a bit cheesy anyway so I was bound to scrap it eventually :smile: thank you though.
Original post by theenglishkid
Damn. I didn't know that, thank you anyway. I'll take what you said into account, its all a bit cheesy anyway so I was bound to scrap it eventually :smile: thank you though.

Learn the rules about apostrophes before submitting your PS. :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
Learn the rules about apostrophes before submitting your PS. :smile:

Will do. :smile: Having a read through, that was done quite late at night and I've made some punctuation errors, but don't worry when I submit it, I'll make sure my punctuation is on top form. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending