Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gabrielle ' s Grow your Grades and Get into university blog Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I know the grow your grades competition is over but that doesn't matter because I want to start this now for next year. So to anyone whose boss of the grow your grades would you mind moving mine when the time comes thank you.

Alright so I'm going into year 13 officially on Wednesday (wow). I did Biology,Chemistry, Maths and Spanish at AS
    I got these grades:

Maths:A
    Chemistry :B
    Biology :C
    Spanish : C

Now I am happy with those grades as they are still good. But not as good as I want. Also didn't expect my biology grade to be a C expected A/B but this just proves I definitely need to work on biology.

This year I will be dropping spanish and keeping the other three these are my aims:

Top entry requirement for university I want to apply to:AAA
    My top goals : A*A*A* ( I know this seems unrealistic but idc I'm aiming high and I plan to do everything I can to get these grades

My minimum goals:AAA

So next I'll go into how I plan to improve massively on the AS grades I got

General things I need to improve on:

Timing: I really have an issue with this as all of my exams I barely finished I didn't get to check over anything and I think if I improve this my answers will be much better.

What I will do to improve on this: Time my past papers as strictly as possible .
    Also time separate sections in the past papers and if I am not finished I will move on.
    Lastly I think I have a tendency to write too much for some questions therefore wasting time so I will make my answers more concise by using mark schemes to structure answers and also just generally looking at the marks: points need to be made on each question.

Second thing I need to work on is Understanding of topics: now suprisingly I think maths is the area that struggles with this the most as there are areas I didn't understand at all (but through past papers I could do the method).However this is the case for all my subjects so I will try to work on it in all.

What I will do to work on it :
    If I dint understand a topic I will ask a teacher to go over it , go to other sources such as youtube and other websites online and look over it more carefully in my notes and textbook.

Application questions: These questions idk what you call them,how science works questions etc. Watever I have a little problem with. During the exam I just put the first thing that come to my head and then after the exam I realize the so obvious right answer instead

What I will do to improve on these:
    As said above I'll work on timing which will then give me more time to answer these questions and so I'll have better answers. Also I won't just put the first thing that comes to mind I'll think about what the question is actually asking,what topic is it relating to,what do I know about that topic and hopefully I will arrive at a better answer.

Last thing I will be working on is Improvement : stupid when I get something wrong in past papers and such I write down the topic read over it but don't test myself on it again.

How to work on this: firstly I will do over any question I get wrong until I can safely say I know the answer. I will also do questions on that particular topic and make sure I definitely understand it.

Of course as well as these improvements I will do way more past papers than I did last years (only did 4 sets for each unit aside from past papers done in class) and I will aim to do these past papers multiple times

Thank you to anyone who helps in advance. Any advice would be appreciated (unless you are telling me I can't do it then ....) and hopefully I can achieve my goals and get into university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What I've done this summer :
    Reread all AS content
    Reread all A2 content covered so far in class.
    Do questions in the textbooks on all A2 topics so far.
    Make corrections to questions I got wrong and confirm now that I know the correct answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    What I've done this summer :
    Reread all AS content
    Reread all A2 content covered so far in class.
    Do questions in the textbooks on all A2 topics so far.
    Make corrections to questions I got wrong and confirm now that I know the correct answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow! You're inspirational and you're on a similar journey to me! I'll follow this thread so I can hopefully cheer you on occasionally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Wow! You're inspirational and you're on a similar journey to me! I'll follow this thread so I can hopefully cheer you on occasionally
    I've followed yours as well >. < lol hopefully we can help each other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've followed yours as well >. < lol hopefully we can help each other

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha! Yeah hopefully!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well done !!

ReputationRep:
    Did you get much done yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get much done yesterday?
    Yeah I was finish off some maths core 3
    Did the exercise on differentiation of sin cos and tan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today I will be doing three more maths exercises to finish off the numerical methods chapter in core 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was finish off some maths core 3
    Did the exercise on differentiation of sin cos and tan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow! Good work!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Good work!
    Thanks hope your doing well. I feel so motivated today heard a really inspirational speech and i just feel I can do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    About to start today's work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hope your doing well. I feel so motivated today heard a really inspirational speech and i just feel I can do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woo! That's awesome! I love motivational speeches!

ReputationRep:
    Just finished work for today
    Did core 3 maths
    Numerical methods:
    sketching iterations
    Simpsons rule
    Mid ordinate rule

The first exercise I zipped though as it wasn't too hard but the second two kinda dragged as the processes are long and boring. Did take some breaks as well but had to keep telling myself to finish the work.

Tomorrow will be doing some chemistry.
    As to how much well see .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your doing well, maths and chemistry are just dependent on how much work you do as the papers are really repetitive.

Biology can be an oddball as for my exam board OCR i memorized the revision guide but some questions still did not make any sense to me.

Just finished A2 bio and chem so if you need any help you can Pm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    Your doing well, maths and chemistry are just dependent on how much work you do as the papers are really repetitive.

Biology can be an oddball as for my exam board OCR i memorized the revision guide but some questions still did not make any sense to me.

Just finished A2 bio and chem so if you need any help you can Pm me.
    Thanks very much what did you get in your A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much what did you get in your A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AAA

89% maths
    81% bio
    88% economics

ReputationRep:
    AAA

89% maths
    81% bio
    88% economics
    That's amazing you going to uni ? If so what are you studying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AAA

89% maths
    81% bio
    88% economics
    Wow! Impressive stuff!

ReputationRep:
    So today as I said did some chemistry.
    Did AS chemistry questions.
    All of the first sub unit atomic structure from the textbook.

This went smoothly as the first sub unit is generally not too difficult and wasn't too hard to maintain focus.

As always took a few breaks inbetween but not too much.

Also marked the ones I got wrong and will go over them next time I do chemistry.

Tomorrow will probably be some biology. Again as to how much well see how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.