Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am planning on conquering the idea of taking upon two languages at once. I have started learning Japanese one week ago and thinking of taking Turkish too. Do you think this is possible? To be skillful in all reading, writing, speaking and listening areas?
    The two languages I propose are Turkish and Japanese. They are very different given their nature; one being Latin based and the other completely different. Is it possible to become proficient in these at the same time? Or is it recommended to focus on one at a time and then move to the next one?
    Also, as they are different, this might be an advantage?

Thanks for your help,
    2008cozmen
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 2008cozmen)
    Hi there,

I am planning on conquering the idea of taking upon two languages at once. I have started learning Japanese one week ago and thinking of taking Turkish too. Do you think this is possible? To be skillful in all reading, writing, speaking and listening areas?
    The two languages I propose are Turkish and Japanese. They are very different given their nature; one being Latin based and the other completely different. Is it possible to become proficient in these at the same time? Or is it recommended to focus on one at a time and then move to the next one?

Thanks for your help,
    2008cozmen
    Of course it's possible - with enough time and dedication. I should add that according to the US' Foreign Service Institute, in order to become "generally proficient" in Turkish and Japanese, you'll need 1100 and over 2200 hours respectively - that's about 10 years if you spend an hour a day studying them. So unless you've got an abundance of free time, it might be a better idea to take on one at a time...

I'm not sure if they're quite as different as you think though, there was a Turkish person in my Japanese class who said that Turkish and Japanese are a lot more similar than English and Japanese.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi there,

Thanks for your help,
    2008cozmen
    its definately possible, like Plag said
    Anything is possible if u put the right time and effort into it
    to help, here are some really good websites I used to self-teach italian and german and stuff--> www.quizlet.com
    www.memrise.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Of course it's possible - with enough time and dedication. I should add that according to the US' Foreign Service Institute, in order to become "generally proficient" in Turkish and Japanese, you'll need 1100 and over 2200 hours respectively - that's about 10 years if you spend an hour a day studying them. So unless you've got an abundance of free time, it might be a better idea to take on one at a time...

I'm not sure if they're quite as different as you think though, there was a Turkish person in my Japanese class who said that Turkish and Japanese are a lot more similar than English and Japanese.

Thank you very much for the link to the US resource, very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    its definately possible, like Plag said
    Anything is possible if u put the right time and effort into it
    to help, here are some really good websites I used to self-teach italian and german and stuff--> www.quizlet.com
    www.memrise.com
    Hi CheeselsVeg,

Thank you very much for the resources, after playing through memrise I have learnt so much. Now it has almost been two months I am starting to understand the basics of both languages
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi CheeselsVeg,

Thank you very much for the resources, after playing through memrise I have learnt so much. Now it has almost been two months I am starting to understand the basics of both languages
    Amazing to hear! Congratulations! Keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Amazing to hear! Congratulations! Keep it up!
    Thank you again! I recently took up the approach of learning both languages in the same day. But i'm experiementing with the idea of dedicating each individual language for one week at a time and alternate inbetween. So the idea is I study Japanese for every day for week one, and Turkish everyday for week two. This approach seems interesting, I hope the neuroplasticity will increase xD I will report back with my empirical experience xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you again! I recently took up the approach of learning both languages in the same day. But i'm experiementing with the idea of dedicating each individual language for one week at a time and alternate inbetween. So the idea is I study Japanese for every day for week one, and Turkish everyday for week two. This approach seems interesting, I hope the neuroplasticity will increase xD I will report back with my empirical experience xD
    Do :yy:
    Best of luck! :rave: :hugs:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.