Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Prospectuses watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you do with your prospectuses after you finished using them? Throw them away? Keep them?

ReputationRep:
    I recycled mine. Had about 40 so they wouldn't fit in my bin.

ReputationRep:
    I recycled mine too...they were beginning to take over my room!

ReputationRep:
    I've kept all of my university information. I had previously stuffed everything into a cupboard, but now I have organised them into folders - just shows how bored I got.

ReputationRep:
    Planning to keep them, but don't know where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    What do you do with your prospectuses after you finished using them? Throw them away? Keep them?
    I've shoved half of them into my cupboard and have the ones i am considering applying to on a shelf so i can get to them easily. When i've finished with them i'll probably give them to my sister (if she decides she wants to go to uni) or recycle them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm keeping them for a bit, but I might give them to the school, that or stick 'em in the recycling. It's easier here, the council has a recycling collection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    I've kept mine so that my younger sister can look through them all (I amassed over 60 during my time university searching ) and then only apply for the current ones of the universities which she really likes the look of

ReputationRep:
    On the point of prospectuses - it seems like an awful waste of resources!

My school already has enough of them as it is, coupled with the fact that 2006 entry prospectuses will be out soon from now - so there's no point in handing them in.

In the age of the internet and Adobe PDFs, what is the need for a printed prospectus? Sure, they sometimes contain a bit more info, but surely they could just be made into PDFs and downloaded. Hardcopies could be sent to schools/colleges/libraries and international students, whilst others should simply download them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you mob. People order printed prospectuses as they might not have internet connection or their internet connection is slow, or they don't like surfing the net to look at stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    On the point of prospectuses - it seems like an awful waste of resources!
    You're right, it is a waste. I think the only reason I preferred actual printed prospectuses was because I could sort of curl up and read them on the sofa, rather than have to stare at the screen and sit at the desk Not very environmentally considerate of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-pink-stars)
    You're right, it is a waste. I think the only reason I preferred actual printed prospectuses was because I could sort of curl up and read them on the sofa, rather than have to stare at the screen and sit at the desk Not very environmentally considerate of me.
    I don't usually get into a huff about eco-protection issues, but lookie here - http://www.uk-learning.net/t54091.html - who could possibly need 60 prospectuses?

I have nine. Of the nine, two of them I could have done without.

In addition, UCL send a small (A5-sized, circa 10 pages) departmental brochure, if you request one. If this had contained another few pages about acommodation, the university et cetera - it would have more than sufficed.

96% of the material in prospectuses is irrelevent to me, I would much prefer a departmental brochure with a few added extras.

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually get into a huff about eco-protection issues, but lookie here - http://www.uk-learning.net/t54091.html - who could possibly need 60 prospectuses?

96% of the material in prospectuses is irrelevent to me, I would much prefer a departmental brochure with a few added extras.
    But when you don't know which department you want to go into..... :confused:
    And some of the prospectuses weren't new ones, they had been passed to me from friends, in fact I'm sure that out of my group of friends I probably ended up with everyone elses prospectuses as I was the last one to make my decision :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil-pink-stars)
    But when you don't know which department you want to go into..... :confused:
    And some of the prospectuses weren't new ones, they had been passed to me from friends, in fact I'm sure that out of my group of friends I probably ended up with everyone elses prospectuses as I was the last one to make my decision :rolleyes:
    I guess that is a fair consideration - I know several people who still have no idea as to which course(s)/institutions to put down on their UCAS.

I'm not blaming people at all, I realise that the decision-making process is difficult. If somebody wants the prospectus for each and every HE institution in the land - that's cool by me. I just find it hard to accept that they will all be read...but even if they aren't *shrugs shoulders*.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that is a fair consideration - I know several people who still have no idea as to which course(s)/institutions to put down on their UCAS.

I'm not blaming people at all, I realise that the decision-making process is difficult. If somebody wants the prospectus for each and every HE institution in the land - that's cool by me. I just find it hard to accept that they will all be read...but even if they aren't *shrugs shoulders*.
    i have got a good idea, but ive stillnot totallydecided yet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Fancy taking on some of my prospectuses? Over 60 to choose from!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ug/

I don't know of any other uni which provides a pdf of their entire prospectus - many have online prospectuses but they tend to contain slightly different content to the hard copy and aren't easily printed.
    It seems quite silly that others don't have a pdf version prospectus, especially seeing as I have read four alternative prospectuses in acrobat.

Some of the online prospectuses are quite frankly a maze to navigate.

I like Manchester's website though - it has videos!

ReputationRep:
    Are you stuck for course(s)/institutions - or both?

Fortunately, I'm pretty much settled (apart from my 6th pick) - barring any catastrophes with the AS results, of course!

ReputationRep:
    Are you stuck for course(s)/institutions - or both?

Fortunately, I'm pretty much settled (apart from my 6th pick) - barring any catastrophes with the AS results, of course!
    im pretty much settled as well, but there are also other maybes that come into your mind

ReputationRep:
    im pretty much settled as well, but there are also other maybes that come into your mind
    Let's complete our hijack of the thread - where are you thinking of applying? Is it for geography?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.