Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I Think I Was Just Conned. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to stop pirating and decided to buy the movies and tv shows i watch. I found some guy who says he got it through a pay wall. After getting it from him it said EZTV on the file, which must mean he got it from a torrent site. Was i just conned? Are paywalls illegal, and is it illegal to buy pirated content?

ReputationRep:
    I can only muster an 'LOL' in reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    If your not buying them from somewhere like Netflix it will be illegal.

If you don't want to download go to watchseries.ac it's a streaming site
    Is it a legal streaming site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    If your not buying them from somewhere like Netflix it will be illegal.

If you don't want to download go to watchseries.ac it's a streaming site
    But aren't sites that sell BluRay Legal?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I purchase my DVD box-sets exclusively from low-level Triad enforcers via the Dark Web; so much more 'ethical' than streaming for free.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Enough
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    I'm trying to stop pirating and decided to buy the movies and tv shows i watch. I found some guy who says he got it through a pay wall. After getting it from him it said EZTV on the file, which must mean he got it from a torrent site. Was i just conned? Are paywalls illegal, and is it illegal to buy pirated content?

1. Yes conned or gullivle or both.
    2. Not all paywalls are illegal it depends who is behind it.
    3. If you are buting pirated content then they have no real rights to sell it and juts becayse you pay for it doesnt make it any less in breach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1. Yes conned or gullivle or both.
    2. Not all paywalls are illegal it depends who is behind it.
    3. If you are buting pirated content then they have no real rights to sell it and juts becayse you pay for it doesnt make it any less in breach.
    I wouldn't say i'm gullible, but i have so much confidence in people that i expect them to be truthful and it often backfires.

ReputationRep:
    Streaming is not illegal in the EU

The judgement of the court states that: "Article 5 of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001 on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society must be interpreted as meaning that the copies on the user’s computer screen and the copies in the internet ‘cache’ of that computer’s hard disk, made by an end-user in the course of viewing a website, satisfy the conditions that those copies must be temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological process, as well as the conditions laid down in Article 5(5) of that directive, and that they may therefore be made without the authorisation of the copyright holders."[5]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.