The Student Room Group

Crying until 5am because I'm a disappointment

Scroll to see replies

Read some success story threads on here to motivate you.
Take a year out to resit your A levels, do some reflection- what went wrong? What will you do differently?
Go to college to resit your subjects so that you're forced to do work throughout the year
Get a part time job as well to have something extra to do
Reapply to Cambridge and your other universities
Change your revision tactic.
Failing doesn't define you as a person, but how you choose to move on from here and pick yourself up does
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. It says a lot when strangers on the internet treat you better than your own family and friends. A lot of people have suggested retaking but thats really a no go for me rn. Mainly because I can't bare to go back to A levels again (and starting uni when everyone I know is graduating) plus I don't get funding so I'm going to have to pay for coursework/exams myself (because my family are a bunch of *****)...I really just want to get my degree, secure a job and just move far far away from here asap
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. It says a lot when strangers on the internet treat you better than your own family and friends. A lot of people have suggested retaking but thats really a no go for me rn. Mainly because I can't bare to go back to A levels again (and starting uni when everyone I know is graduating) plus I don't get funding so I'm going to have to pay for coursework/exams myself (because my family are a bunch of *****)...I really just want to get my degree, secure a job and just move far far away from here asap

You can pay for the coursework and exams with a part time job. See this as investing in your future
I literally feel as if I'm having a mental breakdown. Long story short, I had an offer from Cambridge and I missed it. Like when I opened up my results paper, I literally had U grades across the board. Deep down, I knew my grades were going to be bad (I had a gut feeling I missed my offer because I've had hypochondria this whole year) but I didn't expect them to be THAT bad. So now I'm going to a local uni which isn't even a russell group.

As if that wasn't a slap in the face, I have to deal with my friends and family. My brother said I was 'a **** up who flopped really bad' and I overheard my sister saying to my mum that I'm 'nothing more than a disappointment who can't get anything right'. Then my mum said I can just tell from 'the way I am' that I'll never be successful in life.

My friends were treating me like a failure too. Before I got my grades they told me I was going to be so successful then on results day they were like 'oh you didn't get in? we were looking forward to visiting you at cambridge'. Another found out I was going to a local uni and said 'eeww thats full of wastemen'. Ontop of that some of the girls who I didn't get on with (who are also going to the same uni as me) were literally laughing at the fact that I ended up at that uni.

I try to put on a brave face and tell everyone I'm really happy and idc about not getting into cambridge but deep down it hurts so bad. And it hits me at night and I just cry for hours. I'm having to put on this front when deep down I feel like such a failure. Last night I was crying until 5am. And this morning my sister said to me I need to rethink my career plan (I wanted to do investment banking but because I'm at a non target its going to be very very difficult to break in). I come from a really crap area and I thought going to cambridge and getting a good job would let me get away from this place but I just feel as if I'm going to be stuck here for the rest of my life.

I've literally left the house twice since results day. I've stopped going to the gym or just generally out shopping. I just stay in my room crying. Uni starts in a couple of weeks and I can't even muster up any excitement. I'm struggling so badly to pick myself up again.

I can imagine you are disappointed, but at some time you have to not take it to heart and carry on.

Why on earth didnt you just decide to resit your A levels and do yourself justice? its only a year. You should have talked to your teachers. If you feel as though you could do well in resits then thats what you should have done.

If you decide to go to your local uni, then make the best of it and dont let the others drag you down. If you had 3 U's then id be worried that you are going to a Uni who acepted that.

Your situation screams resit to me.

are you being treated for your hypochondria?
"Success is not how high you climb, its how high you bounce back up when you hit rock bottom."

You are not a faliure. If you keep telling yourself that you will never progress. Just try your hardest from now on. Hope you get over your hypocondria.
My A2 module grades were mainly U's. I had A's in my AS.

Then just retake the A2's. last chance in 2017
Have you looked into finance apprenticeships or trainee schemes for school leavers?
I literally feel as if I'm having a mental breakdown. Long story short, I had an offer from Cambridge and I missed it. Like when I opened up my results paper, I literally had U grades across the board. Deep down, I knew my grades were going to be bad (I had a gut feeling I missed my offer because I've had hypochondria this whole year) but I didn't expect them to be THAT bad. So now I'm going to a local uni which isn't even a russell group.

As if that wasn't a slap in the face, I have to deal with my friends and family. My brother said I was 'a **** up who flopped really bad' and I overheard my sister saying to my mum that I'm 'nothing more than a disappointment who can't get anything right'. Then my mum said I can just tell from 'the way I am' that I'll never be successful in life.

My friends were treating me like a failure too. Before I got my grades they told me I was going to be so successful then on results day they were like 'oh you didn't get in? we were looking forward to visiting you at cambridge'. Another found out I was going to a local uni and said 'eeww thats full of wastemen'. Ontop of that some of the girls who I didn't get on with (who are also going to the same uni as me) were literally laughing at the fact that I ended up at that uni.

I try to put on a brave face and tell everyone I'm really happy and idc about not getting into cambridge but deep down it hurts so bad. And it hits me at night and I just cry for hours. I'm having to put on this front when deep down I feel like such a failure. Last night I was crying until 5am. And this morning my sister said to me I need to rethink my career plan (I wanted to do investment banking but because I'm at a non target its going to be very very difficult to break in). I come from a really crap area and I thought going to cambridge and getting a good job would let me get away from this place but I just feel as if I'm going to be stuck here for the rest of my life.

I've literally left the house twice since results day. I've stopped going to the gym or just generally out shopping. I just stay in my room crying. Uni starts in a couple of weeks and I can't even muster up any excitement. I'm struggling so badly to pick myself up again.

Hi please feel proud of yourself for comming this far ,you may not have ended up at the uni you wanted but if you give things a chance it may be a blessing in disguise. If you really don't want to attend try a gap year and maybe get things into respective a little more, please ignore nasty comments from friends and family ,after all could any of them have been considered for Cambridge ? My daughter didn't attend the uni of her dreams but she was glad in the end as she couldnt imagine being so happy where she ended up . You will do well in life best wishes
I'm so sorry you feel this way, and the lack of support from your loved ones obviously doesn't make it any easier. But remember, just because they say those things, it doesn't mean they are true.

You got into university and you're doing a degree! A 'failure' wouldn't be able to do that.

However, if you're feeling like this, you should probably consider if going to university this year is really what you want to be doing. If you're feeling unhappy about it now, that's not going to change when the workload starts. You don't want to be miserable for the entire 3 or 4 years. I was supposed to go to a Russell Group university, but my A Level results weren't what I expected, I had to go through clearing and ended up in a university which is good, but not Russell Group. For the first couple of weeks, I was so upset and couldn't get over myself, which resulted in me just not wanting to be there, not attending lectures, and, consequently, not understanding my course. I got through it in the end but am going back a year and changing my course.

Is it really worth the extra stress and the debt? You've got to think of yourself and your mental/physical health.

I agree with Sprout73. It really may be a blessing in disguise! I didn't want to be in my current university at the beginning, but now I've made such amazing friends and have been blessed with such amazing opportunities that I may not have had in my first choice university. Everything happens for a reason.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I've been through some pretty dreadful $hit in my life, but as the cliche goes, I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling right now.

Regarding wanting to get away from home and go to a better uni: be aware that you can transfer to a different institution at the end of your first year. If your grades are good in your first term, then you can re-apply through UCAS. I hope that helps and again I'm so sorry this is happening to your right now.

It will eventually get better, trust me :hugs:

it is an achievement in itself to get into cambridge in the first place - so congrats! My sister didn't meet her offer last year and she was so depressed but you have to keep going. A level results will only dictate your life if you let them. I'm not saying it's easy but you can still go where you want to go. Have you considered re-taking your a levels?
The fact that you had a Cambridge offer suggest you are a worthy Cambridge candidate.

Here is my advice. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Some young people give in on their dreams, and go to a uni they didn't want to, or study a course they didn't want to, because they did not have the strength to take a year out, and try again and resit. That ONE tiny year extra, seems to make so much of a difference to some people, and I honestly have no idea why. Sacrificing going to Cambridge for the sake of wanting to go to university the same time as everyone else is incredibly foolish. A year longer in the long run has absolutely no effect on your life, but going to a university which you did not want to go to, can have a substantial effect.

So here is my advice. Do you want to study at Cambridge, or were you pushed into it? Do you want to go to that local uni or do you feel pressured into going to university straight away, the same time as everyone else? Do you feel that you could have performed better, but your mental struggles pushed you back?
Because if you genuinely want to go to Cambridge, and think you are deserving (which I am sure you are, you had an offer) then DO NOT GIVE UP. Take a year out, resit, go to another college and start afresh if you want, and then reapply. Try and seek help for your hypochondria and anxiety, because if you are having U's now due to your mental health problems, are you ready to go to uni? Help is there for you, so many good people on here can advise you on that.

But equally, if you are happy with going to the local uni, and were forced into applying for Cambridge, then very kindly stick two fingers up to your family, pack your bags, and enjoy yourself. But I'd also still recommend seeking some help for your mental health problems.

It's your ****ing life. Do what YOU WANT. Don't let your family, and don't let a measly year, effect your entire life.
Firstly, I just wanna say that this is the first night since results day that I haven't cried myself to sleep and its mainly down to the supportive comments on this thread so thanks guys.
And also, I know that I should retake. Its the obvious thing to do but I just can't, like I literally don't have it in me and it scares me thinking about retaking and then doing just as badly. And I know this may sound arrogant but I've always been a 'high achiever' and I thought I would be starting uni by 19 tops so the thought of studying for my a levels at the age of 20 makes me so depressed and deep down I know that my hearts not in doing them again. But I will look into transferring after first year.
My grades were BCC btw.
Asides from that, I just wanna say thanks again to everyone who has posted. Its made a change from people calling me a failure/loser/disappointment/**** up at least 3 times a day.
My A2 module grades were mainly U's. I had A's in my AS.

And you're not seeing your potential?
I find it pathetic how everyone else could just easily disregard how well you did in AS but failed in A2 because of a condition that disrupted your performance and if you didn't have would have performed better. Even if you didn't have hypochondria, I can't believe people let alone family would say such mean things and treat you this way. I wish I could give you a major hug.
Please remember that life isn't over, being alive today is a blessing. Go in on your first day with the mindset that you're not only to smash your degree but you're also going to meet new lovely people while enjoying your experience at uni. If anything, you could also reapply to do your masters at Cambridge. It isn't the end and Cambridge isn't the only university to have successful graduates. The world's richest people didn't even go to university yet own and fund many of the organisations/companies/businesses graduates end up working with/in. I know it's easier said than done but this new chapter in your life will only make you a stronger being who could advise others going through a similar experience xx
>OP, Like everyone else here I am shocked and saddened by how you have been treated and the stress you must have been under. I also agree that YOU got an OFFER from CAMBRIDGE!! Well done!! Very impressive!! I'll be honest though, I'm concerned that the stress and perhaps the fear of expectations caused you to implode....caused your hypochondria. You sound like you live in an emotionally toxic area. So, my advice....go back to a counselor (get a new one) and find a way to work out what is the underlying reason you went from having such great grades that you were offered a place at Cambridge to making U's. That is a big red flag!! You are obviously very, very capable.... Cambridge doesn't give out offers to just anyone! Please, please do start fresh again but you are going to have the get the mental issues in order. You are NOT ALONE! So, so many people suffer from mental anxiety causing all kinds of trouble but help is available and you would greatly benefit! WHEN you reapply try Cambridge again or maybe you want to go for a different uni in the Russel Group. You are right! You are better than living in that toxic environment. BUT, you have control over your own destiny and you have to put the work in (again) and find a way to cope with your insecurities, anxiety etc. so you can be successful. Oh, and don't worry about your age, my brother took a five year 'gap year' to pursue a different dream but he's off to a good uni this year! He will be a fresher at 23!
Speaking of successful...... even the best and the brightest have failed! It's not that you fail (because we all do!) its how you get back up and forge your own path into the future!
From Business Insider:
Walt Disney was fired from the Kansas City Star because his editor felt he "lacked imagination and had no good ideas." Several more of his businesses failed before the premiere of his movie "Snow White"

Oprah Winfrey was publicly fired from her first television job as an anchor in Baltimore for getting "too emotionally invested in her stories."
Steven Spielberg was rejected by the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts multiple times.

Carey Mulligan was rejected from every single drama school she applied to. An auditor at Drama Center London told her to be a "children's TV show presenter" instead.

Lady Gaga got dropped by her record label, Island Def Jam, after 3 months. Upon receiving the news, she "cried so hard so couldn't speak".

Director Ang Lee failed Taiwan's college entrance exams twice. Then he tried to go to acting school, but his English wasn't good enough.
"I was always in shame that I could not focus on books," Lee told ABC News. "And I failed the college examinations. My father was my high school principle...That was bad." In theater school, he fell in love with the stage, but his English wasn't good enough.
Now, he's an a three-time Academy Award-winning director, and the man behind mega hits like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon," "Life of Pi," and "Brokeback Mountain."

Akio Morita: You may not have heard of Morita but you’ve undoubtedly heard of his company, Sony. Sony’s first product was a rice cooker that unfortunately didn’t cook rice so much as burn it, selling less than 100 units. This first setback didn’t stop Morita and his partners as they pushed forward to create a multi-billion dollar company.

You can do this! Get back up and go make a great life! (but I hope you can go to an area where the people will be more supportive and uplifting).

GOOD LUCK!
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone in life who has achieved great things has experienced failures. It doesn't define you, you rise up and fight back for what you want. Life is short, embrace the good and bad and keep going. Good luck xxx
Firstly, I just wanna say that this is the first night since results day that I haven't cried myself to sleep and its mainly down to the supportive comments on this thread so thanks guys.
And also, I know that I should retake. Its the obvious thing to do but I just can't, like I literally don't have it in me and it scares me thinking about retaking and then doing just as badly. And I know this may sound arrogant but I've always been a 'high achiever' and I thought I would be starting uni by 19 tops so the thought of studying for my a levels at the age of 20 makes me so depressed and deep down I know that my hearts not in doing them again. But I will look into transferring after first year.
My grades were BCC btw.
Asides from that, I just wanna say thanks again to everyone who has posted. Its made a change from people calling me a failure/loser/disappointment/**** up at least 3 times a day.

You have to make important decisions in your life and be able to cope with changing situations. You should resit, but its your choice.
Sorry to hear you have missed your offer at Cambridge.

I also agree with the poster who said the only people who are failures are the people treating you badly. They should be supportive of you, instead of belittling you.

However, you are going to uni and economics is a great subject!

You have plenty of time to be successful! You could resit, however, it is down to you.

I wish you the very best of luck for your journey and success!
My grades were BCC btw.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I understand how the thought of re-sitting and going through the process again may make you feel like pulling your eye balls out. I get that. But I really don't agree that sitting A-levels at 20 makes you a failure, especially considering you had mental health problems, I.e extenuating circumstances!

Just think, in a few years time, imagine your graduation. Would you rather be graduating with a degree from your local uni at 21/22. Or would you rather graduate from Cambridge at 23?

Please that one year makes no difference. People take gap years all the time!

Speaking as a recent graduate, the job market is so, so tough. Having a degree from Cambridge will give you so much more potential and opportunities than going to an average, local uni. You can't see that now because your perspective is in a different place. But I worry that you really may regret giving up on Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending