The Insomniac's Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
That's precisely the issue. We have to look at literature in context. Applying contemporary Political Correctness to older literature is frankly preposterous :confused:

This is one of the reasons I told my E.Lit lecturer I'd never take it to degree level in a million years :laugh: When your A2 lecturers start to read drug habits into every work of imaginative genius, one begins to worry :rolleyes:
Oh my teachers used to read drug habits at me turning up to lessons and staying awake through them. Applying PC stuff is riduclous full stop, ideally i would like to tell them (the PC ppl) to go and have a good hard ****, but I must resist that temptation. You do remember that Cho Seung-Hui incident, i bet most teachers are still reading essays though to see if any students are mass murderers. I might do a politics module next year, I wonder if it will get read in a similar fashion...
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yep. Highly annoying :hmpf: But such is life, and I imagine if it wasn't that it would be something else...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep. Highly annoying :hmpf: But such is life, and I imagine if it wasn't that it would be something else...
I dont find it too annoying. If people want to read drug habits etc into what I write then thats up to them. I care little for what many people think, in a large amount of cases people dont think at all really.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
(Original post by RK89)
I dont find it too annoying. If people want to read drug habits etc into what I write then thats up to them. I care little for what many people think, in a large amount of cases people dont think at all really.
No I meant PCness in general. It provides an excuse for people to be ridiculously immature about a huge variety of things, way past the bounds of proportion. It also encourages nitpicking to the point of wasting alot of time and resources. It is needed of course.. they just have a tendency to go a little overboard.
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
Whats happened to our Insomniac Logo?
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No I meant PCness in general. It provides an excuse for people to be ridiculously immature about a huge variety of things, way past the bounds of proportion. It also encourages nitpicking to the point of wasting alot of time and resources. It is needed of course.. they just have a tendency to go a little overboard.
Oh of course the PCness is annoying. If people start being PC around me i tend to beat them at their own game, i just a way someone could be theoretically be offended with everything they say.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Whats happened to our Insomniac Logo?
I know :confused:

Although, tbh.. I knew one might be nice :flutter:

Maybe its an issue with its source/imagehost :dontknow: What say we get a new one?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
(Original post by RK89)
Oh of course the PCness is annoying. If people start being PC around me i tend to beat them at their own game, i just a way someone could be theoretically be offended with everything they say.
Unfortunately it has far further reaching impact than that. It seeps into the mindsets of institutions and bureaucracies, and encourages a very blinkered, narrow minded mentality.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unfortunately it has far further reaching impact than that. It seeps into the mindsets of institutions and bureaucracies, and encourages a very blinkered, narrow minded mentality.
Oh well, i just take advantage of the PCness, may as well. You should do so too. I loved all the things I couldnt do on work experience because of health and safety, it certainly made it relaxing.
And for the new logo, can we have an animated one?
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
I know :confused:

Although, tbh.. I knew one might be nice :flutter:

Maybe its an issue with its source/imagehost :dontknow: What say we get a new one?
I'll have to ask AngelofnoColour, as she's the founder of this society, i'll ask her and get back to you
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RK89)
Oh well, i just take advantage of the PCness, may as well. You should do so too. I loved all the things I couldnt do on work experience because of health and safety, it certainly made it relaxing.
And for the new logo, can we have an animated one?
I don't think an animated one is allowed or even possible to have.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think an animated one is allowed or even possible to have.
It should be in theory if you get a gif the right size. It depends on the settings TSR use.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Cheers Rafael :love:
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RK89)
It should be in theory if you get a gif the right size. It depends on the settings TSR use.
Aye exactly, just had a look at some Society logos and it is possible, not sure i'd want an animated logo though, we'll have wait and see what AngelofnoColour says and also the rest of the gang
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
Cheers Rafael :love:
Anytime
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Aye exactly, just had a look at some Society logos and it is possible, not sure i'd want an animated logo though, we'll have wait and see what AngelofnoColour says and also the rest of the gang
Maybe Craggy should start a competition thread and then we can vote on the best one.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
(Original post by RK89)
Maybe Craggy should start a competition thread and then we can vote on the best one.
Why competition? A simple poll would do it. My issue with a poll thread is that I don't want non-members choosing our logo And there's no way to stop outsiders doing so, even if you ask nicely :p:
Rafa
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RK89)
First things first, let's get permisson, then Craggy could maybe use the first post on this thread to organise something to do with the logo situation.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why competition? A simple poll would do it. My issue with a poll thread is that I don't want non-members choosing our logo And there's no way to stop outsiders doing so, even if you ask nicely :p:
Not if you hide the thread somewhere and link to it on here. Or ask an admin to make you a special thread. Personally I think an animated one would make us stand out.
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Regarding the logo, how about one of my suggestions in the old thread?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (666)
80.73%
Leave (159)
19.27%

Watched Threads