The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax
That subject is nasty :afraid: I had an E in AS, retook everything and only just scraped a C overall.. and that was with me studying day and night!

I am surprised you didnt die of boredom, taking it all the way to A2.
Reply 3581
A Y Z
I got an A :proud:

Chemistry was my weakest subject. My only B in O Levels.

I had As in the others. 100% twice with E.Lit. I just had to accept I'm not that great at maths/science :s-smilie:

I didn't do any Chemistry before A level. I'd only done Bio.
Reply 3582
RK89
I am surprised you didnt die of boredom, taking it all the way to A2.
I nearly died of stress. And it got more interesting in A2. Chemistry isn't boring. Just bloody hard.
Craghyrax
I had As in the others. 100% twice with E.Lit. I just had to accept I'm not that great at maths/science :s-smilie:

I didn't do any Chemistry before A level. I'd only done Bio.

How'd you find Bio?
That was the hardest for me.

I'm good with maths and sciences :biggrin:
I was assured by the Uni in the US that I would get a place because I had three A levels; I found out in time that I need Chem to get an Engineering degree. With Bio, Physics and Maths I could only get into medicine; I despise medicine.
Chemistry was my favourite subject :biggrin:

I also got an A in it :cool:.
Craghyrax
I nearly died of stress. And it got more interesting in A2. Chemistry isn't boring. Just bloody hard.

It depends on your rote learning ability really, or at least the way I was taught it. As for stress levels, it was the most stressful of my subjects asides doing the ICT coursework (I left it as a last minute job).
Oh, and check your PMs.
Reply 3586
A Y Z
How'd you find Bio?
That was the hardest for me.

I loved Biology. I applied to study it, but changed my mind last year when I missed my offers by a single mark :p: (later I had it regraded, but I'd changed my mind anyway)
I found Bio really enjoyable and straighforward, but still more work than E.Lit :p:
Reply 3587
RK89
It depends on your rote learning ability really, or at least the way I was taught it. As for stress levels, it was the most stressful of my subjects asides doing the ICT coursework (I left it as a last minute job).
Oh, and check your PMs.

RK this is the last time I ask you to never tell me to check my PMs! :mad:
Craghyrax
I loved Biology. I applied to study it, but changed my mind last year when I missed my offers by a single mark :p: (later I had it regraded, but I'd changed my mind anyway)
I found Bio really enjoyable and straighforward, but still more work than E.Lit :p:

You like Bio? :eek3:
English Lit is so dry and boring!

Yeh I agree; all the sciences were very practical.
Craggy
Mostly good. I've just got my letter from Cambridge concerning accomodation and stuff, and there's so much to do! And I have no time to do it Going on a hike on Sunday. Working today, tomorrow and seeing my Dad who's visiting from SA, and shopping/packing on Saturday.
How about you?

Wow.. Is there a deadline for you to send in the forms et al by?
Your plans sound muchos fun though :biggrin:

I'm alright thank you. Slept 6 hours last night, so woop :biggrin:

Ayaz
I'd done three A levels before: Maths, Physics and Biology.
I got admin to Uni of Wisconsin in the US. But I wanted a transfer (bad, bad place). I was told to wait for August, but then in January UCL said my transfer would fall thru and I had to wait.

I asked them what I had to do and they told me in the mean while do A levels in Chemistry and get a B.

I did, thankfully, coz the transfer did fall thru. Not enough credits. Now I'll be joining as a fresher.

Whats most important is that I didn't waste any year.

Must've been stressful.. good luck at UCL :biggrin:
RK89
Oh, and check your PMs.

Not if you understood the concepts. I never learnt a single equation, worked it out there and then. I loved chemistry :biggrin:
Ribbons
Not if you understood the concepts. I never learnt a single equation, worked it out there and then. I loved chemistry :biggrin:

Put it like this, I was in a class of over 30, much of the time spent with an awful teacher who could no more than write out a factsheet on the board, and then say copy it down. My intrest went pretty quickly, which is a shame I used to like chemo.
RK89
Put it like this, I was in a class of over 30, much of the time spent with an awful teacher who could no more than write out a factsheet on the board, and then say copy it down. My intrest went pretty quickly, which is a shame I used to like chemo.

A shame indeed. But don't blame the subject!

Did you have any results today?
Ribbons
A shame indeed. But don't blame the subject!

Did you have any results today?

Yeah, see my sig :biggrin:
I dont blame the subject, I blame the A-level course really, or at least the edexcel one. Given the fun that could be had, i dont know why they had to include so much rote-learning and so little understanding, at least in the AS.
RK89
Yeah, see my sig :biggrin:
I dont blame the subject, I blame the A-level course really, or at least the edexcel one. Given the fun that could be had, i dont know why they had to include so much rote-learning and so little understanding, at least in the AS.

Ah, very well done. That's what I had for my A levels too :biggrin:
What subjects did you take?

Well, I disagree. I doubt there is a massive difference between examination boards. I think you found there to be so much rote learning because of your teachers.
Reply 3595
A Y Z
You like Bio? :eek3:
English Lit is so dry and boring!

Cheek :p: But yeh.. E.Lit was really boring :banghead: Bio was fascinating! :huff:
Ribbons
Ah, very well done. That's what I had for my A levels too :biggrin:
What subjects did you take?

Well, I disagree. I doubt there is a massive difference between examination boards. I think you found there to be so much rote learning because of your teachers.

Thanks, I put all my academic info in my profile, take a peek.
As for my teachers, they seemed obsessed with passing the exam and nothing else. It might have been because whenever you asked an in depth question, they never seem to know.
Craghyrax
Bio was fascinating! :huff:

:five:
RK89
Thanks, I put all my academic info in my profile, take a peek.
As for my teachers, they seemed obsessed with passing the exam and nothing else. It might have been because whenever you asked an in depth question, they never seem to know.

Well done. :smile:
Heh, all teachers are concerned with exams to some extent. :ninja:
Biology :afraid: :tomato:

Although I think I had the worst ever teacher for it which didn't help!

Latest