Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using some AS work in A2 - Plagiarism/Misconduct ? - PLEASE HELP Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR,

I am making a start on my A2 Product Design coursework and this question has been bugging me so much, could someone please help.

If I was to use some parts of my own work from AS and put this into my A2 coursework as research, would this count as misconduct ?
    If so, would it be considered plagiarism if my independent research into a particular topic was very similar due to the factual information being the same ? For example, ergonomic information, this would be the same in both my AS and A2 coursework so surely I could just copy and paste this ?

Nothing regarding self plagiarism was noted in the coursework malpractice section of AQA's website (http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ts/malpractice). I have tried to E-mail them and they say speak to your teacher, who does not know.

Thank you,
    Enjoy the last few days of summer !
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I understand this is a very grey area, but if the work if going to be so similar due to factual information being the same, surely I can copy&paste. Thanks to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    Has your work been submitted publicly anywhere before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    I understand this is a very grey area, but if the work if going to be so similar due to factual information being the same, surely I can copy&paste. Thanks to anyone who replies.
    I think I've seen an A2 project print screen parts of their AS project and stated that they've done the research before. I'm in the same dilemma so I am not sure if I want to do this. What are you making by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    I think I've seen an A2 project print screen parts of their AS project and stated that they've done the research before. I'm in the same dilemma so I am not sure if I want to do this. What are you making by the way?
    Hi,
    That helps a lot, I'll include it as print screens(that way, the plagiarism checker wont pick up the words and flag me up as they are just images).
    AS - I did a sustainable armchair
    A2 - Portable laptop stand thingy(not 100% sure yet)
    What about you ?
    Also, if I hear anything more, I will let you know !
    Thanks again,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaRainbows)
    Has your work been submitted publicly anywhere before?
    Just to the Exam Board for AS marking
    No where else

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a grey area alright. For AQA, I know this, I took English Literature AS last year and and carried on to A2. For AS we had 2 separate essays on two texts ) while for A2 we had one long comparison piece. I got As in the AS essays so I pretty much recycled the two essays (70ish%) and added links and new intro/conclusion etc. So I think you'll be fine as AQA doesn't use Turn It In like unis and (if you're like me) your CW is marked by the teachers and only moderated by the exam board. Plus as you've said, there's no specific rule against it. Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adso222)
    Yeah it's a grey area alright. For AQA, I know this, I took English Literature AS last year and and carried on to A2. For AS we had to separate essays on two texts ) while for A2 we had one long comparison piece. I got As in the AS essays so I pretty much recycled the two essays (70ish%) and added links and new intro/conclusion etc. So I think you'll be fine as AQA doesn't use Turn It In like unis and (if you're like me) your CW is marked by the teachers and only moderated by the exam board. Plus as you've said, there's no specific rule against it. Hope it helps!
    I am with AQA for this, so your answer helps a bunch.
    Our coursework, like yours, is center-assessed and then sent of for moderation so I'm hoping it should be fine. I know its technically unethical and all but its my own work I'm using so...
    Completely in the right ? Probably not.
    Possible Loophole as its not stated on their website ? I hope so.
    I'll let you know if next year they allow it or flag it up for plagiarism.
    All the best,
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I am with AQA for this, so your answer helps a bunch.
    Our coursework, like yours, is center-assessed and then sent of for moderation so I'm hoping it should be fine. I know its technically unethical and all but its my own work I'm using so...
    Completely in the right ? Probably not.
    Possible Loophole as its not stated on their website ? I hope so.
    I'll let you know if next year they allow it or flag it up for plagiarism.
    All the best,
    Lee
    Should be fine then as moderation just means checking the marks are consistent with your classmates and other schools (at least as I understand it). Glad I could help!

Good luck,
    Adam

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    That helps a lot, I'll include it as print screens(that way, the plagiarism checker wont pick up the words and flag me up as they are just images).
    AS - I did a sustainable armchair
    A2 - Portable laptop stand thingy(not 100% sure yet)
    What about you ?
    Also, if I hear anything more, I will let you know !
    Thanks again,
    Lee
    You and my friend are doing the exact same thing haha!
    I'm doing some pack-away workstation and feel like I can't be bothered to write up new info about production methods and materials etc... So I might recycle it.

ReputationRep:
    You and my friend are doing the exact same thing haha!
    I'm doing some pack-away workstation and feel like I can't be bothered to write up new info about production methods and materials etc... So I might recycle it.
    Cool I wish them the best of luck
    Sustainability is a growing element in Product Design... so we are encompassing one of the 6 R's in our coursework

Good Luck !

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else has any experience with this even in another subject it would be good to hear.
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    If anyone else has any experience with this even in another subject it would be good to hear.
    Thanks !
    Btw, how did you find the exam? The spinning process ruined me

ReputationRep:
    Btw, how did you find the exam? The spinning process ruined me
    Could not agree more ! I messed up spinning so much, got 0 marks for that question as we never went over it lol apart from that it was okay I guess.
    Came out with a B in the exam and a B in the coursework so B overall. What did you get ? Are you planning on going uni, doing product design ?

ReputationRep:
    Could not agree more ! I messed up spinning so much, got 0 marks for that question as we never went over it lol apart from that it was okay I guess.
    Came out with a B in the exam and a B in the coursework so B overall. What did you get ? Are you planning on going uni, doing product design ?
    Yh, after the exam, one of my teachers made up a stupid lie saying that we covered it in the start of the year, and we didn't! Couldn't believe how the grade boundaries went up though

I got 80 UMS in the coursework and exam (scraping an A) but I am going to resit to the exam to bring it up to an a solid A or maybe A* hopefully.

I am doing to do Economics or Accounting and Finance instead

ReputationRep:
    Yh, after the exam, one of my teachers made up a stupid lie saying that we covered it in the start of the year, and we didn't! Couldn't believe how the grade boundaries went up though

I got 80 UMS in the coursework and exam (scraping an A) but I am going to resit to the exam to bring it up to an a solid A or maybe A* hopefully.

I am doing to do Economics or Accounting and Finance instead
    That is amazing, well done ! All the best with your resit.
    Even though I enjoy Product Design , I'll be doing Geography at Uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.