Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im an international student andi dont know what college to pick i want one thats close to lectures offers accommodation for most if not all of my degree and also not to far from the night life if possible
    I would like a list of teh features of each college if possible
    And any opinions on what to pick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    im an international student andi dont know what college to pick i want one thats close to lectures offers accommodation for most if not all of my degree and also not to far from the night life if possible
    I would like a list of teh features of each college if possible
    And any opinions on what to pick
    Since most colleges offer physics, you're best narrowing down the options and looking these things up yourself - all the information you've asked for is pretty easy to find online.

1. Make a list of all colleges offering physics, excluding mature colleges and PPHs probably.
    2. Look on college websites/at their prospectuses to determine which colleges offer accommodation for all years of your degree
    3. Use google maps or similar to look at distances from the physics department (lectures are held in the Martin Wood Lecture Theatre on Sherrington Road), but even "further out" (only by Oxford standards) colleges are at most a 10-15 minute walk from the department (due to the location of the Physics department, even most central colleges are a short walk away. Keble however is directly across the road, and very popular with science students applying because of this!)
    4. The majority of clubs etc are nowhere near physics - I believe most of them are quite near the station, so you can't really have it all. However, again, this is 'nowhere near' by Oxford standards, so it's still a short walk where ever you go pretty much. (bear in mind with distances - Oxford is a small city, you can easily walk all of it, and lots of people cycle instead).

With distances be aware that some colleges don't house you on the main college site even if they do give accommodation for all 4 years, you might be in satellite accommodation somewhere else in Oxford after your first year.

Once you've narrowed your list down you might be able to find current or past students on here from those colleges who can talk to you about it a bit more if you're not sure - I'm guessing you can't make it to an open day, which is certainly the best way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Since most colleges offer physics, you're best narrowing down the options and looking these things up yourself - all the information you've asked for is pretty easy to find online.

1. Make a list of all colleges offering physics, excluding mature colleges and PPHs probably.
    2. Look on college websites/at their prospectuses to determine which colleges offer accommodation for all years of your degree
    3. Use google maps or similar to look at distances from the physics department (lectures are held in the Martin Wood Lecture Theatre on Sherrington Road), but even "further out" (only by Oxford standards) colleges are at most a 10-15 minute walk from the department (due to the location of the Physics department, even most central colleges are a short walk away. Keble however is directly across the road, and very popular with science students applying because of this!)
    4. The majority of clubs etc are nowhere near physics - I believe most of them are quite near the station, so you can't really have it all. However, again, this is 'nowhere near' by Oxford standards, so it's still a short walk where ever you go pretty much. (bear in mind with distances - Oxford is a small city, you can easily walk all of it, and lots of people cycle instead).

With distances be aware that some colleges don't house you on the main college site even if they do give accommodation for all 4 years, you might be in satellite accommodation somewhere else in Oxford after your first year.

Once you've narrowed your list down you might be able to find current or past students on here from those colleges who can talk to you about it a bit more if you're not sure - I'm guessing you can't make it to an open day, which is certainly the best way.
    Thank you
    Where would you put what college you want as on ucas I just see an option to pick five unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    Thank you
    Where would you put what college you want as on ucas I just see an option to pick five unis?
    When you put your uni in you can also put in a 'campus code' I think it's called, each Oxford college has a different campus code (you should be able to find it on the Oxford website somewhere/in the prospectus probably)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.