Turn on thread page Beta

so hard to get a job :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Get motivated then, you slob. You won't get anything from life if you don't try and put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    My parents have been demanding me to do a job, but I can't be bothered, right now I'm 16. Struggling to motivate myself in doing a job.
    have you got a CV? they're simple to write, just go out and hand them out. you really need to start looking for a job now, i wish i did but i was unmotivated like yourself. i've got the motivation now though due to money problems.

are you planning on going to uni? if you are then i strongly suggest that you start looking and saving up! uni is VERY expensive and government loans just land you in a lot of debt at a very young age. if you get a job now you'll thank yourself in the future, trust me! NOW GO GET A JOB!!!

ReputationRep:
    All the jobs tradittionally for students during their holidays have been gobbled up by uncontrollable millions of Polish/East EU immigrants.

You've got nobody to thank but the Nu-Labour government.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just wait until September. I know it's tough if you've no money, but still. Especially if your town is a uni town like mine, it's so hard.

Alternatively you could look into positions that are in demand right now.. ie positions with companies that entertain children, seeing as they're all off school and typically very bored. Try play centres, zoos, skating rinks, bowling allys, swimming pools.. look through your local newspaper, see what's going on for the kids and call up anything running for them and ask if they need a hand. I'm sure they're probably desperate for help, especially as we're FINALLY getting some sunshine.. about time to, seeing as it's August!

ReputationRep:
    this sucks, its even hard to get a volunteering job i think i'm just unemployable... (or my CV really really sucks)

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem, I was more unlucky with timign though - almost everywhere I went had jsut had major recruitment drives. Out of about 300 shops i visited I handed in 26 CVs.

ReputationRep:
    If its just a temp job that your looking for, try something in a warehouse. Order picking, you won't rake it in, but you will at least get some money ready for uni. Ring up the agencies and ask if they have any factory/ warehouse work. You don't need exp either, its easy, takes em a few mins to show you and you're away. This is what i'v been doin last couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_jr)
    I had the same problem, I was more unlucky with timign though - almost everywhere I went had jsut had major recruitment drives. Out of about 300 shops i visited I handed in 26 CVs.

Yeah, snap here. I walked round town yesterday, went into about 30 shops...and only 3 took in my CV. Well, better than nothing.

But I have a job interview next Monday, so fingers cross.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to say to anyone still job-searching, DONT STOP!

I'm in the same position, been applying since June. And I've just got 3 interview in the space of 2 weeks now! Fingers crossed now!

But what I'm saying is, it really is possible

ReputationRep:
    I was soooooooooooooooo close!!! But I couldn't work the hours due to uni

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.