Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I lost my last job for a really stupid, spiteful reason.

I have 4 prior years of glowing references from respected companies (actually just 2 as I was in both jobs for 2 years; was a star member of staff; left amicably etc).

But in my last job they fired me after 2 months, but didn't like me from the start, I feel they felt threatened by me, it was a small *****y/gossipy environment and didn't pay me properly etc... it was just a sh** company.

However, I don't want to go into all this for a part-time job at uni.

I'd rather just leave my CV "looking ambiguous" about getting fired and the last couple of months of unemployment and say I've been preparing for uni (which is true)

My fear is that they will call the last employer even though I won't give them as a reference.

I just want to give my 2 older references and be done with it.

Is it likely that they will ask/do this?

One of them is Subway and the other is quite a nice, upmarket bar/restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    I lost my last job for a really stupid, spiteful reason.

I have 4 prior years of glowing references from respected companies (actually just 2 as I was in both jobs for 2 years; was a star member of staff; left amicably etc).

But in my last job they fired me after 2 months, but didn't like me from the start, I feel they felt threatened by me, it was a small *****y/gossipy environment and didn't pay me properly etc... it was just a sh** company.

However, I don't want to go into all this for a part-time job at uni.

I'd rather just leave my CV "looking ambiguous" about getting fired and the last couple of months of unemployment and say I've been preparing for uni (which is true)

My fear is that they will call the last employer even though I won't give them as a reference.

I just want to give my 2 older references and be done with it.

Is it likely that they will ask/do this?

One of them is Subway and the other is quite a nice, upmarket bar/restaurant.

Just put 'references on demand' at the bottom of your cv, then give them your older references. If they ask what happened with your previous job, just say that the environment made you uncomfortable and your 'boss' claimed that it showed in your work, so decided you weren't fit to that specific company. BUT just say that you wanted to focus on your education. They can't argue with that and may even view it as a mature approach. Hope this helps!☺️ I highly doubt that they'll contact them without your say either. I'm not to sure though! 😶

ReputationRep:
    The closer we get to Christmas the more they're likely to hire anyone with 4 functioning limbs and a pulse. Zero hour contract staff come and go on a weekly basis

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just miss that company out your cv? If you only worked there for 2 months it doesn't sound like it would be a ridiculous gap, and that saves any questions being asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hermitthefrog)
    Can't you just miss that company out your cv? If you only worked there for 2 months it doesn't sound like it would be a ridiculous gap, and that saves any questions being asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.