The Student Room Group

How does teacher training work? (Application)

Hi everyone.

I am about to start my final year of my undergraduate degree. I decided in my 1st year that I wanted to become a high school teacher. I am doing a degree that is related to the subject I want to teach (Biology and doing Biomedical degree).

I have no idea how the application process works? I have no idea on how much experience i need ? I heard someone said 2 weeks was enough experience for them but others say they needed 6+ months!

Also when do you start applying???

It is September now, so hopefully I would have graduated by next summer and would like to start a teacher training course by the following september 2017? (So a year from now). I understand you apply through ucas but when do I do this? I also heard there is an Apply 1 and 2?

I have no idea where to start looking for courses. Are all courses 1 year only full time? Would this give me a PGCE and QTS to allow me to become a NQT and begin applying for jobs?

I know there are different routes too. Which routes are best? I know I cant do the salaried option obviously.

Also my Alevels are awful. DEE with a D in biology and E in chemistry :frown: Although my GCSES were good. As and Bs in everything. Is this going to impact me much? My degree is looking to hopefully be a 2:1... Fingers crossed!

Or instead of applying this year to start next year, would it be useful taking a gap year after I graduate uni and use that to get experience and then jsut apply during that year for the following september after that in 2018. This might take the stress of applying and inteviews away since it is my last year at uni and I want to do well. This is just a thought, not definite.

Sorry for so many questions. Any help would be super appreciated. Also sorry if this is in the wrong thread. (Will be posting this is 2 threads incase you see this twice)
You will apply for your course through UCAS and select three choices of training provider. This process is very much like undergraduate form so you will need a reference from your university tutor and one from the school you have completed your experience in. You will be in Apply 1 while your initial three choices are being processed and Apply 2 should you either be unsuccessful at all three choices or decline all the offers you receive. In Apply 2 you can apply for one course at a time. Don't panic if you end up in Apply 2, I did and ended up on a course that was perfect for me.

If you don't have experience you will need some before you begin the application process so you can refer to your experience in your letter, know what a successful lesson should contain and can comment on good practice during interviews. You could volunteer for a regular period each week or do a longer period of voluntary over a short period such as a reading week. The more experience you have the better you'll be able to answer interview questions. Ring a school ASAP so you are able to secure some voluntary work! I believe applications open in October

You can apply to train at a university where you will do blocks of studying at university and blocks of placements within school. Alternatively, you can take the schools direct route where you will be based in schools, working alongside a quality member of staff and gathering with your colleagues on the course once a week for the academic side. Some schools direct routes do not award a PGCE but all routes will offer QTS. If you choose the university route you will have a stronger understanding of the theory behind good teaching and if you choose the school direct route you will have more practical experience.

I'm not sure about your A levels but I imagine most providers would be more interested in your degree.

Only you can decide if taking a gap year or applying for 2017 is right for you.

You can search available courses on the UCAS website.
Make sure you apply through the postgraduate training part of UCAS.
Original post by wildrover
You will apply for your course through UCAS and select three choices of training provider. This process is very much like undergraduate form so you will need a reference from your university tutor and one from the school you have completed your experience in. You will be in Apply 1 while your initial three choices are being processed and Apply 2 should you either be unsuccessful at all three choices or decline all the offers you receive. In Apply 2 you can apply for one course at a time. Don't panic if you end up in Apply 2, I did and ended up on a course that was perfect for me.

If you don't have experience you will need some before you begin the application process so you can refer to your experience in your letter, know what a successful lesson should contain and can comment on good practice during interviews. You could volunteer for a regular period each week or do a longer period of voluntary over a short period such as a reading week. The more experience you have the better you'll be able to answer interview questions. Ring a school ASAP so you are able to secure some voluntary work! I believe applications open in October

You can apply to train at a university where you will do blocks of studying at university and blocks of placements within school. Alternatively, you can take the schools direct route where you will be based in schools, working alongside a quality member of staff and gathering with your colleagues on the course once a week for the academic side. Some schools direct routes do not award a PGCE but all routes will offer QTS. If you choose the university route you will have a stronger understanding of the theory behind good teaching and if you choose the school direct route you will have more practical experience.

I'm not sure about your A levels but I imagine most providers would be more interested in your degree.

Only you can decide if taking a gap year or applying for 2017 is right for you.

You can search available courses on the UCAS website.
Make sure you apply through the postgraduate training part of UCAS.

Thanks for the info. I think I've decided on taking a gap year to earn money and gain experience.
In terms of getting references, is this easy even after leaving university and not seeing your tutors for over a year..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by superdan_
Thanks for the info. I think I've decided on taking a gap year to earn money and gain experience.
In terms of getting references, is this easy even after leaving university and not seeing your tutors for over a year..?

It depends on your tutors, but it is a requirement of UCAS's so they should oblige. I contacted the former head of department at my uni almost three years after graduating and she was more than happy to write it.
Original post by Pierson
It depends on your tutors, but it is a requirement of UCAS's so they should oblige. I contacted the former head of department at my uni almost three years after graduating and she was more than happy to write it.

Oh thats great to hear. I'll likely mention it to some of my tutors before i leave this year that ill be needing them for a reference. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending