Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long did it take you to open a student bank account? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I recently changed my surname, waiting for my new passport to be delivered which I will need to prove my identity to the bank. Have no idea when it will be delivered (hopefully soon) and freaking out because I dont actually have a student account, I want to open one before my first student loan payement drops (around 26/09). So after you applied how long did you have to wait for the account to be actually up and running? Applying with HSBC btw.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I applied with HSBC a couple of years back when I first went (since left and am employed, going back to do Masters), it took me an hour as I had to get proof of address which meant I had to pop across to RBS and get a statement printed, if it hadn't been for that waste of time it would've been 30 minutes tops, card came 3 days later and credit card 7 days later but the account was open and running by the time I left, I'd even deposited £3,000 into the account to tide me over until my student loan came in.

If you want a bank with good overdrafts, Barclays, Co-Op and Lloyds are your best bet as HSBC is a very conservative lender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaSal)
    I applied with HSBC a couple of years back when I first went (since left and am employed, going back to do Masters), it took me an hour as I had to get proof of address which meant I had to pop across to RBS and get a statement printed, if it hadn't been for that waste of time it would've been 30 minutes tops, card came 3 days later and credit card 7 days later but the account was open and running by the time I left, I'd even deposited £3,000 into the account to tide me over until my student loan came in.

If you want a bank with good overdrafts, Barclays, Co-Op and Lloyds are your best bet as HSBC is a very conservative lender.
    Thanks, this was super helpful!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.