A-level Geography? Watch

Rekishiya4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What's A-level Geography like? Is it much different to GCSE? I'm thinking of taking at A-level (along with English literature, English language, History) and got an A at GCSE? Does it go well with these subjects? Thank you
Federerr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same. I'm taking A-Level Geography but Idk how it's gonna be like. I'd love clarification.
tcameron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rekishiya4)
What's A-level Geography like? Is it much different to GCSE? I'm thinking of taking at A-level (along with English literature, English language, History) and got an A at GCSE? Does it go well with these subjects? Thank you
I got an A in A-level geog this year (a few ums off that A*) and an A at GCSE geography.
AS isn't much different in my opinion but A2 is quite a lot different from GCSE as you actually have to do proper essays and not just long mark questions.
I didn't do any other essay subjects at A level so I'm not sure how well it goes with your other subjects, all I know is the ones in my class who were doing subjects like History had a lot better vocabulary than me when it came to writing essays.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I did A Level Geography with WJEC. At AS we studied physical geography topics (i.e. the water cycle, flooding, plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes and climate change), and human geography topics (settlements, population, migration and gender structures), and had two separate exams on each. At A2 we studied glacial environments and landforms and globalisation (these were chosen by my college, there were many other optional modules), and sustainability, in terms of food, water, energy and cities, again with 2 separate exams for each (glaciers and globalisation, and sustainability). In both years, we also had to carry out fieldwork for each module, which was examined at the end of each exam.

Therefore, A Level Geography is fairly similar to GCSE in terms of content, however it's more difficult to gain marks. Instead of just using geographical terms, you also have to explain what they mean in order to get a mark for it, for example. The essays you need to write in exams are also longer and more detailed, so you need to be confident at essay writing in order to do well.

I hope that helps (if you have any more questions, just ask)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed