Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Not sure what forum I should post this on so I'll leave it here.

I got access to Office 365 for free due to my uni email and myself being a student. However, I'm not sure if I keep this for free for life, or will my access be restricted once I graduate??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's not a lifetime license (unless your university has some special arrangement with Microsoft which is pretty much unheard of).

There's a few different things you may have been given, ranging from a 1 year license that you can renew each year as a student, to a 4 year license that you can use even if you finished University in 3 years.

There's generally some sort of procedure to go through to validate yourself as a student each year, depending on the method used (Dreamspark, direct Microsoft download, etc.).

Ultimately you will lose access at some point. However if it's purely tied to the email address (which is what many places do, a .ac.uk address is enough to get a download) then you may get to keep your license until your account is purged from the University. If they didn't immediately wipe your details when you graduate you could in theory validate yourself for another year. But on the whole don't expect to keep the license for more than 4 years and do expect to validate yourself as a student each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not sure what forum I should post this on so I'll leave it here.

I got access to Office 365 for free due to my uni email and myself being a student. However, I'm not sure if I keep this for free for life, or will my access be restricted once I graduate??
    I think it is the latter. You're lucky you have access to Office 365 for free. My university did not offer that to us.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's not a lifetime license (unless your university has some special arrangement with Microsoft which is pretty much unheard of).

There's a few different things you may have been given, ranging from a 1 year license that you can renew each year as a student, to a 4 year license that you can use even if you finished University in 3 years.

There's generally some sort of procedure to go through to validate yourself as a student each year, depending on the method used (Dreamspark, direct Microsoft download, etc.).

Ultimately you will lose access at some point. However if it's purely tied to the email address (which is what many places do, a .ac.uk address is enough to get a download) then you may get to keep your license until your account is purged from the University. If they didn't immediately wipe your details when you graduate you could in theory validate yourself for another year. But on the whole don't expect to keep the license for more than 4 years and do expect to validate yourself as a student each year.
    Ah, thank you very much for this information!

(Original post by Saba XD)
    I think it is the latter. You're lucky you have access to Office 365 for free. My university did not offer that to us.
    Really? Technically my uni did not 'offer' it to me, it's just something I'm aware of so I took advantage of it since I gained access to my uni emails. Have you tried this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saba XD)
    Check on your University website. Mine never offered it to me but there was an obscure link that allowed us to download it if we wanted it.

Easier solution though:

https://products.office.com/en-gb/st...e-in-education

Failing all that you can buy cheaper 4 year licenses for students (£60) or get student discounts from places like software4students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)

Really? Technically my uni did not 'offer' it to me, it's just something I'm aware of so I took advantage of it since I gained access to my uni emails. Have you tried this?
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Check on your University website. Mine never offered it to me but there was an obscure link that allowed us to download it if we wanted it.

Easier solution though:

https://products.office.com/en-gb/st...e-in-education

Failing all that you can buy cheaper 4 year licenses for students (£60) or get student discounts from places like software4students.
    I bought it with my HP laptop when I was studying. Now, I have graduated already. But, yeah I should have asked them or researched myself. I thought it would be offered but I was clearly wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.