Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So currently I basically only use the cheap JVC Gummy earphones - which let's face it aren't very good.

My sister has Bose over the head headphone things which are amazing music wise, but I find them uncomfortable (push against my earrings) and a bit bulky.

My brother has Sennheiser(?) in-ear earphones, which again are very good music wise, but I struggle to keep in-ear headphones in my actual ears and they are VERY uncomfortable (I have quite small ear canals).

So I'm looking for some decent earphones which are styled like the gummy ones I have, so non in-ear earphones but I don't want those massive headphone m'larky. I've had a look around the shops but am struggling to find what I want.. but does what I want exist?!

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations I would love to hear from you! Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I believe what you're looking for is earpods (although the term seems to have been coined by Apple to some extent, only Apple headphones pop up).

This style right? Not in ear headphones that sit deeper in the ear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Earph...ywords=earpods

A lot of people say the Apple earphones are pretty good for their money. Personally I've never been bothered by the JVC Gummy you mentioned. My current daily driver headphones are the model released with last year Samsung phones.

The issue is that you won't find exceptional quality in small devices. The over ear headphones you mentioned are better because they're able to block out noise and have more components in them due to their size. Likewise the deeper in ear headphones offer a better fit to block out noise. Even the best headphones that simply sit in your ears won't offer quality near to a decent set of over ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3Music)
    Hi guys,

So currently I basically only use the cheap JVC Gummy earphones - which let's face it aren't very good.

My sister has Bose over the head headphone things which are amazing music wise, but I find them uncomfortable (push against my earrings) and a bit bulky.

My brother has Sennheiser(?) in-ear earphones, which again are very good music wise, but I struggle to keep in-ear headphones in my actual ears and they are VERY uncomfortable (I have quite small ear canals).

So I'm looking for some decent earphones which are styled like the gummy ones I have, so non in-ear earphones but I don't want those massive headphone m'larky. I've had a look around the shops but am struggling to find what I want.. but does what I want exist?!

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations I would love to hear from you! Thanks in advance
    From what I can tell, you're after "earbud" style earphones that sit outside the ear canal? If so, head onto eBay or Amazon and buy whichever pair of Yuin earphones you can afford, they're pretty much the only band on the planet making premium earphones in this style.*

However I would say also consider a pair of in-ears, because the sound will be substantially better than a pair of earphones. Your comfort issue is most likely down to the eartips you've tried, and there are aftermarket tips like Comply Foam that are significantly comfier to wear. If you can provide a budget I can make suggestions for pairs to try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I believe what you're looking for is earpods (although the term seems to have been coined by Apple to some extent, only Apple headphones pop up).

This style right? Not in ear headphones that sit deeper in the ear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Earph...ywords=earpods

A lot of people say the Apple earphones are pretty good for their money. Personally I've never been bothered by the JVC Gummy you mentioned. My current daily driver headphones are the model released with last year Samsung phones.

The issue is that you won't find exceptional quality in small devices. The over ear headphones you mentioned are better because they're able to block out noise and have more components in them due to their size. Likewise the deeper in ear headphones offer a better fit to block out noise. Even the best headphones that simply sit in your ears won't offer quality near to a decent set of over ears.
    Thank you for your reply, yeah that's the style I meant - ive had apple headphones before but they're still not as good as what I'm looking for.

(Original post by Gofre)
    From what I can tell, you're after "earbud" style earphones that sit outside the ear canal? If so, head onto eBay or Amazon and buy whichever pair of Yuin earphones you can afford, they're pretty much the only band on the planet making premium earphones in this style.*

However I would say also consider a pair of in-ears, because the sound will be substantially better than a pair of earphones. Your comfort issue is most likely down to the eartips you've tried, and there are aftermarket tips like Comply Foam that are significantly comfier to wear. If you can provide a budget I can make suggestions for pairs to try.
    Hey, thanks for your reply. Budget is up to about £100. I've been told that the in-ear headphones are better than the style I'm after but even with the smallest ear pad things they're still too big and just fall out of my ear - not unless I can buy even smaller ones anywhere online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3Music)
    Thank you for your reply, yeah that's the style I meant - ive had apple headphones before but they're still not as good as what I'm looking for.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Budget is up to about £100. I've been told that the in-ear headphones are better than the style I'm after but even with the smallest ear pad things they're still too big and just fall out of my ear - not unless I can buy even smaller ones anywhere online?

Check out the Yamaha EPH-100 and Comply Comfort 600 eartips. The Yamahas are physically tiny earphones, meaning they won't put a huge amount of weight on the portion inside the ear canal, and the foam tips mould to fit your ear- you squish them down and when you put them in your ear they expand to fill the canal.*

If you're determined that you only want earbud style, then as before, find whichever pair of Yuin earphones takes up the most of your budget. Just don't expect miracles, they'll sound better than earpods but they are limited in how good they can be just by the physical properties of this type of earphones.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.