Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

16-18 Oyster Card Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 18 years old and am going to start university. I will turn 19 next year (2017). Does that mean that I can apply for the 16-18 Oyster card or because I am going to university will I have to apply for the 18+ card.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/got...archStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
    "If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagneticFlux)
    Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/got...archStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps
    Thanks. It did help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagneticFlux)
    I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
    "If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "
    Weird I'm 19 and apparently I can't get a new 16+ Oyster card, just rang customer service.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.