16-18 Oyster Card

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 18 years old and am going to start university. I will turn 19 next year (2017). Does that mean that I can apply for the 16-18 Oyster card or because I am going to university will I have to apply for the 18+ card.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/got...archStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
    "If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagneticFlux)
    Hey there,

Since you will be going to university you are no longer eligible for the 16+ oyster card.

You are however able to get a 18+ card if you are going to a eligible university and living at London address during term time - I would just put my home address even if you live at the university since it they don't check up (here is the list: https://photocard.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/got...archStudent.do).

A 18+ card will cost you £20 and will give you a 30 percent discount on travelcards for a week/month/year. So by purchasing a single month travelcard you will already make your money back. But if your just travelling pay-as-you-go, you might be better off using a adult oyster card or a contactless card - since these do not expire and you'll be paying adult rate anyways.

Hope that helps
    Thanks. It did help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagneticFlux)
    I forgot to mention that if you can get your sixth form to stamp your oyster card form then you could get/renew your 16+ oyster for a year or more.

On the website it says:
    "If you're a Londoner aged 18 or 19 and you're applying for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard with free bus and tram travel, you will have to print off a verification letter that will need to be a stamped by your school or college. You will need to take the stamped verification letter to a Post Office in London along with any required documentation and pay the £ 20.00 admin fee to submit your application. "
    Weird I'm 19 and apparently I can't get a new 16+ Oyster card, just rang customer service.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.