Will the number of AS retakes I did disadvantage me?

Watch
circuitry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
AAAAB at AS ( four traditional/facillitating subjects, the other being Critical Thinking which school forced us to take). Unfortunately most were mid-to-low As and in order to boost my UMS and to give me the opportunity to hit the A* in the one I got a B in, I did a total of 4 retakes (four exams in all) at A2 - this meant doing almost the whole of the subject in which I got a B in at A2. I ended up improving markedly in all except one of my retakes, however.

At A2 I dropped Critical Thinking and one of the As, and picked up EPQ which I got an A in. Due to mitigating circumstances, I ended up with AAB (B in the subject that I originally got the B in) only and missed my firm and insurance (Durham, UCL - sigh).

If I apply to a place whose A level requirements I meet, will the number of AS retakes I did disadvantage me? Likewise, if I retake some of A2 and go for a place that has told me (on the phone) that retake candidates aren't treated differently typically (I'm thinking of Durham), will the 4 AS retakes hold me back?
circuitry
Rep:
?
bump
mattp847
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got offers from Southampton and Kent with AAB as requirements and they were fine with me having retakes. I think it's once you get to AAA and higher unis start to care about retakes.
circuitry
Rep:
?
(Original post by mattp847)
I got offers from Southampton and Kent with AAB as requirements and they were fine with me having retakes. I think it's once you get to AAA and higher unis start to care about retakes.
Do you mean all retakes in general, or AS retakes specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mattp847
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by circuitry)
Do you mean all retakes in general, or AS retakes specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean all retakes in general. I took a gap year and retook an A2 further maths paper and they were fine with it. I think if the university doesn't mention anything about retakes on its website you should be fine.

I don't know how unis with higher than AAB will treat AS/A2 retakes though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (55)
15.58%
I'm not sure (9)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.56%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.7%
I'm not a current university student (161)
45.61%

Watched Threads