The Student Room Group

Good paying careers for introverted, less social people?

Basically I'm the kind of person who can talk to people and who has some friends but comes off as being quiet and reserved. I don't often go to parties and clubs and I'm not great at public speaking although I am improving. Sometimes I become quite anxious when speaking in front of a lot of people .
I do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics at A-level. I was thinking of doing a career that's analytical, number-based, something that you can do on a computer in an office with some talking involved but not excessive amounts of relationship building. I'll be studying maths at a pretty good but not amazing uni.

What careers could be for me? I used to think that accounting was more of an introverted career but I've been told that accounting at the top firms like Deloitte is for more talkative people who can build relationships and be very confident when meeting clients. Is there anything like accounting but for more introverted people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You could do accounting but at a company's accounting/finance department instead of at an accounting firm where you will face clients.
Original post by youwillsucceed
Basically I'm the kind of person who can talk to people and who has some friends but comes off as being quiet and reserved. I don't often go to parties and clubs and I'm not great at public speaking although I am improving. Sometimes I become quite anxious when speaking in front of a lot of people .
I do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics at A-level. I was thinking of doing a career that's analytical, number-based, something that you can do on a computer in an office with some talking involved but not excessive amounts of relationship building. I'll be studying maths at a pretty good but not amazing uni.

What careers could be for me? I used to think that accounting was more of an introverted career but I've been told that accounting at the top firms like Deloitte is for more talkative people who can build relationships and be very confident when meeting clients. Is there anything like accounting but for more introverted people?

Quant in an i-bank, prop trading house, hedge fund or asset manager. You may need to get a further masters/PhD however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Social and communication skills are two of the most important qualities one most possess in today's job market.

It is pretty much impossible that you will be able to waltz into a job that does not require at least one of team-working, working with clients, dealing with the public, building relationships with colleagues, delivering presentations etc.

You must make an attempt to improve your social skills if you want a decent chance of finding a job.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Social and communication skills are two of the most important qualities one most possess in today's job market.

It is pretty much impossible that you will be able to waltz into a job that does not require at least one of team-working, working with clients, dealing with the public, building relationships with colleagues, delivering presentations etc.

You must make an attempt to improve your social skills if you want a decent chance of finding a job.

Despite you being a right-winger, I agree with you on this point. Social skills are very important.
Original post by youwillsucceed

You'll be fine in a whole range of jobs. Accountancy is fine - the person talking about Deloitte was talking about a fraction of 1% of all accountancy jobs. There are still plenty of accountancy jobs or numerate jobs for shy, quiet people who wouldn't say boo to a goose! Sales and marketing are about the only things there's little chance of finding a niche in - even them, someone sells books to libraries and bookshops!
Reply 6
Train driver
Lorry driver
Air traffic control
Programmer
STEM Jobs, especially when you're working for yourself/doing independent work or research. You can go back and forth between working with people and working alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending