Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Freshers Week Worries watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was looking at my freshers week Guide, and I'm very much worried. It seems like there's only parties going on. I dislike large crowds, loud noises, and I don't like drinking myself. I do not want to go to these events, but I feel like if I retire in the evenings instead of going out, I won't make many friends.

Is there any alternative to parties ? Also I'm extremely shy and have difficulty talking to people I don't know.

Thank you,
    Liz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz.M)
    Hello,

I was looking at my freshers week Guide, and I'm very much worried. It seems like there's only parties going on. I dislike large crowds, loud noises, and I don't like drinking myself. I do not want to go to these events, but I feel like if I retire in the evenings instead of going out, I won't make many friends.

Is there any alternative to parties ? Also I'm extremely shy and have difficulty talking to people I don't know.

Thank you,
    Liz
    any freshers event is going to involve large crowds of people, i'm sure you'll be able to find other people who don't enjoy parties and then you'll just have to make your own plans with them, because there aren't really many options for freshers event other than parties. it might take a while to meet the right kind of people but it's highly unlikely that you won't make any friends at all

i dislike large crowds too and i don't drink but i'm going to force myself to go to the events in the first week just to try to meet as many people as possible
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Liz.M)
    Hello,

Thank you,
    Liz
    Hello ,

You've fallen into the biggest trap that all Freshers fall into when worrying about university - thinking that you have to drink and go out to clubs to make friends. That isn't the case - no one is that low and disrespectful as to not be your friend for doing something that you aren't comfortable with.

During the days in the week of Freshers there should be events such as Freshers Fair, society meetings and more - which isn't drinking, just getting to know your university and what there is to do - great social events. Whether you go at university there is going to be large crowds and loud noises and that be one of the things you have to learn to adjust too - it'd be hard to avoid it - most events will be like this.

You don't have to drink or attend parties/clubs. People will respect your decision and still be your friend either way. Just do what you're comfortable with and have a good time.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    How about joining a smaller group, have a look on the clubs and societies to see what's on offer?

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.