Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically my gran has a Panasonic DMC FZ50. I don't really take photos much but this is now 10 years old or so. Has photo technology changed vastly since this was created? If so I might consider an upgrade as I'm getting to an age where I have a few quid and if it means capturing better photos, then I think it's worth it.

Having said that, this seems to still be going on eBay for £130 mark, so can't be that crap?

ReputationRep:
    Having a quick look at the specs, it should take decent photos. Why not take it out for a spin? That said, there are much better cameras available for a low cost that will take better quality images, it just really depends on how much you will be taking photos and when you will be doing it.

I never used to take many photos because the quality of the photos was never that good so I couldn't be bothered to take them. A couple of years ago I got my first DSLR and have taken more photos since then than I have in my entire life up to that point. Start with the inexpensive option, and if you find you enjoy it you can buy something better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Having a quick look at the specs, it should take decent photos. Why not take it out for a spin? That said, there are much better cameras available for a low cost that will take better quality images, it just really depends on how much you will be taking photos and when you will be doing it.

I never used to take many photos because the quality of the photos was never that good so I couldn't be bothered to take them. A couple of years ago I got my first DSLR and have taken more photos since then than I have in my entire life up to that point. Start with the inexpensive option, and if you find you enjoy it you can buy something better.
    I'm charging it now

Out of interest, what is the best quality I can get for £150-200? Not sure if you know of any very good deals atm. Preferably id like something a bit future proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldusone)
    Out of interest, what is the best quality I can get for £150-200? Not sure if you know of any very good deals atm. Preferably id like something a bit future proof
    Well the problem with that question is there are just so many types of camera available. Does it have to be new or would you consider used? One of the good things about photography is there are many second hand cameras available as people upgrade their tech all the time.

If you like the idea of a bridge camera like the FZ50, consider a used FZ200. It is a good upgrade and will take good photos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Well the problem with that question is there are just so many types of camera available. Does it have to be new or would you consider used? One of the good things about photography is there are many second hand cameras available as people upgrade their tech all the time.

If you like the idea of a bridge camera like the FZ50, consider a used FZ200. It is a good upgrade and will take good photos.
    Happy with used if the seller has good ratings. Also, I honestly don't care on style, I just want a camera which take clearest photos within the budget please?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a top of the range camera for photos , the skill comes from knowing how to compose images which comes from experience.

I would invest in some photo editing software as , olny taking photos is half of the photographic progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka_Specs)
    You don't need a top of the range camera for photos , the skill comes from knowing how to compose images which comes from experience.

I would invest in some photo editing software as , olny taking photos is half of the photographic progress.
    Would the camera I already have suffice? Also, what budget software is good?

ReputationRep:
    If you want a zoom camera than out of all the ones I looked at when looking for a go-around camera, the FZ200 should do well and you can easily get used within budget. This is probably the safest option if you aren't sure what kind of things you will be doing with it yet.

If zooming isn't important to you then could might be able to find a used Nikon D3100 body somewhere and the 35mm f/1.8 lens, which will generally take good photos without even trying, but might just push your budget. Canon will probably have an equivalent, but I wouldn't know. It is a slippery slope though!

I would recommend the 1st option for the beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldusone)
    Would the camera I already have suffice? Also, what budget software is good?
    The camera mentioned in your intro post should suffice.

The gold standard in photo editing , a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud (Lightroom and Photoshop) is around £8 a month.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.