Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a tariff with about 1gb of data. I would also prefer that once you have reached your data limit the speed decreases instead of paying for the excess data use.
    Additionally, I'm an international student so I will be making calls to the EU so international call rates are also an important factor.

Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3enrique)
    I am looking for a tariff with about 1gb of data. I would also prefer that once you have reached your data limit the speed decreases instead of paying for the excess data use.
    Additionally, I'm an international student so I will be making calls to the EU so international call rates are also an important factor.

Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks!
    Gif gaff is ver flexible and you aren't locked in

3 is slightly better but costs more and you are locked in
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Gif gaff is ver flexible and you aren't locked in

3 is slightly better but costs more and you are locked in
    Yep, I'd recommend Giffgaff as they are very flexible - you've got a choice of either PAYG rates or buying a Goodybag, which lasts for 1 month. So you can effectively leave after just 1 month, if you wanted to.
    Their prices are very reasonable too (certainly for goodybags), plus if you run out of data, you can just get a bigger allowance next month (or just buy another goodybag).
    Only downsides to Giffgaff are that they run on O2, so if you aren't in a town/city, 3G/4G coverage may be a bit ropey. Also, Giffgaff won't have the fastest speeds, due to the priorities on the O2 network.

Three do a 321 SIM whereby it's 3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB of data (this is PAYG) - plus you can buy data add-ons as well if required.
    They do have 1 month sim only contracts and 12 month sim only contracts. They also have more 3G/4G coverage than O2/Giffgaff as well (and are likely to provide faster data speeds).

Other operators:

EE- very pricey, you can get much cheaper packages elsewhere. But they do have the fastest speeds (generally) and tie widest 3G/4G coverage

Vodafone - haven't really looked into as they used to be dreadful for coverage in our area! Like O2, coverage can be hit and miss outside of towns/cities

Other virtual networks (such as Tesco, Virgin Mobile etc) are best avoided as you can get better deals elsewhere, especially Three and Giffgaff.

Have you also looked at operators such as Lycamobile and Lebara Mobile? Both of those operators focus more on international call rates - which is an important factor for the OP.

Hope this helps!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.